Chastinet's Sketchbook
Welcome back! Very tangible progress in this last post.
I like the mood and rendering in the tall king piece.
The gray background does not work well on the floating demon, you pushed the proper shadows very much  toward red - which reads purple in the context - and I'm not making out what the scattered light is.

(10-26-2019, 07:53 PM)Rotohail Wrote: Heya thanks for stepping over my SB!
Holy cow! Where's that clothing/wrinkle painting from, did you make it!? Looks like I need it in my life. Those studies also, damn! I need it!!
So what happened, why did you leave? Maybe it's not a topic to touch on. But man, you have everything here going on the right direction, studies, personal pieces, everything looking better as you work on it. Get back in the saddle!
I'm especially liking the horror/sci-fi monsters? They have a really dark souls vibe! I think backgrounds like me, are the bane of your existence! ha ha. We need to work on those! We should pledge each other allegiance on the fight against backgrounds. We will stand atop the defeated carefully textured hill, with dexterous strokes, looking proudly at the golden soft gradients on the sky, through a painterly fog of battle that we just overcame! Are you in!? Ha.
Are you in!?

Omg Roto!!! Thank you too! Its a honor!

Those Clothing I got from the Pinterest Website, I tried to follow step by step to understand what the artist did on those clothes, btw the name of the artist is TBChoi, she has a twitch.tv account. 

I had a hit of extremely anxiety and deception with my acctual quality of work and studies. I'm trying to get back!!! And it's working! I need more endurance!
Backgrounds destroys me! But Not SO often I'm trying to work on it, maybe on the future I'll be posting more studies of masters painting, included backgrounds!! And yeah! If you want, we can do one studi of background weekely till our doom. Really enjoyed your spirit man, and your work, good quality! To the glory!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I'm working in a challenge to win a year of course in digital painting, the subject is Demon Gardener, the most important thing is the storytelling, I came up with this moodboard and design, I need a digital paint ready for 28/10 this is the dead line:

Moodboard Bellow

Design Study:

Values of the character, I need to polish him more:

IF someone have the interest to read the story in english let me know.
(10-27-2019, 04:09 PM)Leo Ki Wrote: Welcome back! Very tangible progress in this last post.
I like the mood and rendering in the tall king piece.
The gray background does not work well on the floating demon, you pushed the proper shadows very much  toward red - which reads purple in the context - and I'm not making out what the scattered light is.

I was copying a shadow from an artist, just to feel the mood. 
And yes, it was a warm light with a saturated shadow, it happens some times, but it was exaggerated. I did in a few minutes, like 35 or something. hehehehe!! Thank LEo! It's nice to see you here! More than welcome!
Wontaq:

It's a good exercise, it's something that scare us. You have a nice shapes on skinny people! Have a try!

So, I couldn't finish the Challenge with some painted piece, I applied a lines one, a little bit of rush on it, on sunday I procrastinated and failed to paint one piece for the challenge. Here to, you have my last fun painting with a poor and cliche storytelling. :D

Process:

Finish piece:

This one is the challenge thing I said:

Have fun!
Hello everyone,

Here we go with some values studies on environment, I know that composition has a big part on those studies, but I was focused on values, nonetheless I had some good conclusion on how dark and light values has importance on showing up which part of the scene is in front or far behind.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think you want to avoid that repetitive line pattern that create that really digital brush look or that zigzag not lifting stroke.

I think the biggest thing right now would be to Variety your stroke size for small shape and if you want to create big shape open a new layer use the lasso and use the fill option than use the eraser.If you put your 3 value on 3 different layers it will enable you to better control them with an eraser or the lasso but that probably what your already doing if not well it just one more thing you can try to get a better handle.You could also separate the layers by depth Foreground Midground and Background and lastly the sky.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
I'll have to be picky and comment on the second last thumbnail. I don't think there's a point in The Hobbit where Gandalf and Bilbo are gazing upon the mountain together. Now I don't remember the movie much because I only saw it on an airplane but I have read the book more than once. The eagles didn't want to take them near the mountain and Gandalf left just before Mirkwood to return Beorn's horse. The next time we see Gandalf is in the encampment of the elves and the men of Laketown. Bilbo did however get to see the Mountain when he was with the dwarves but I don't think all 13 of them fit in the shape of the right figure ;)

Discord - JetJaguar#8954
Holy cow! This is great! You really took it to heart about doing environments, and damn, now I want myself to get serious because I'm really liking those thumbnails. The best ones for me tho the first 4 rows, you have gold there! They lose a bit steam later ones but still, really good job! You need to pick one at least and do something with it!

The dude with the pitchfork I think the thumbnails were a bit more interesting than the current pose you have, but maybe is all the extra values and energy! Can't say, really good head design to my eyes! I like that shape, it has some indian/arab feel to it. I think you could make the pitchfork a bit more twisted or gnarly? To fit with the vibe.

The panting, cliche maybe for the fantasy aspect but the hair waterfall is fun to me! Like the idea appealing and unique to me! Unless you think of Moana ha ha. Even then! I think it's fun, how did you come up with it? Or why do you feel is cliche?
Hi everybody. It's me again updating my art studies from the last post to now. I would like to say thank you to everyone who helped me out with feedbacks! I still studying in my confort zone and it's killing me inside... but I still going!

Rotohail: Yeah, the challenge was to creat those environments without a texture brush or gradient hahaha. Thank you for all the feedback and compliment.

Here some stuffs:

Attached Files Image(s)

So here we go.

Attached Files Image(s)

And here.

Attached Files Image(s)

And more...

Attached Files Image(s)

So, those times I'm feeling that I'm studying but in my confort zone, doing stuffs that don't go beyond my knowledge and I'm feeling stuck. I'm kind of lost on what to study and how long. I saw the sketchbook of Rotohail and Ognjiša and they have a solid objective of what to study and the quality control on them. I think that I need some help, I didn't improved to much in this long period of time, I keep doing and creating the same things over and over. Just opening up my mind to you guys.
Here is the project I'm working right now, it's for the Bragato's Digital Painting Fundamentals Course, and some other studies...

Attached Files Image(s)

great style coming in! not sure what else to tell you other than keep putting in the mileage but youre doing a lotta stuff right...

Could be worth it to save up and get a mentor to push deeper into the intermediate/advanced level youre at if you feel like no one is really pushing you

Seems like youre already doing that with the course, so its nice that you are sharing your progress :)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Well the biggest thing you need is to expand your influence and to avoid the familiar in this case don't limit yourself in term of style or approch my advise is study people who can teach you something.Think of there strongest fundamental are and try to dive into there process try to do master study of them try to send them letter.Go in a completely different direction if necessary.Invite the unfamilar, throwing randomness, into your work work messy, change medium, combine medium collaborate with other artist.Start fake project, travel to expand your influence ,talk with friend,research subject that you can be transfer into your work.

It ok to feel lost and want to ask someone some direction but your always the capitan of your ship at the end of the day.

My Sketchbook
I love the lady on the grey background. That one looks great!

With the very last picture, something bothers me. I do not know, if it was exactly your intention to stylize it in this way, but it really bothers me how small his head is. I would have made the head twice as big or maybe even more.
Maybe it was your stylizing-choice on purpose, then nevermind.

Quote:Posted by graphicnovelist - 08-25-2020, 08:18 AM
I love the lady on the grey background. That one looks great!

With the very last picture, something bothers me. I do not know, if it was exactly your intention to stylize it in this way, but it really bothers me how small his head is. I would have made the head twice as big or maybe even more.
Maybe it was your stylizing-choice on purpose, then nevermind.
Yeah! The head size was on purpose, he has a really big hand and a little bit slender overall!!! Thank you!

Quote:Posted by darktiste - 08-24-2020, 06:10 PM
Well the biggest thing you need is to expand your influence and to avoid the familiar in this case don't limit yourself in term of style or approch my advise is study people who can teach you something.Think of there strongest fundamental are and try to dive into there process try to do master study of them try to send them letter.Go in a completely different direction if necessary.Invite the unfamilar, throwing randomness, into your work work messy, change medium, combine medium collaborate with other artist.Start fake project, travel to expand your influence ,talk with friend,research subject that you can be transfer into your work.

It ok to feel lost and want to ask someone some direction but your always the capitan of your ship at the end of the day.
Thank darktiste! Your advise is helping me out! :D I appreciate that!

Quote:Posted by Fedodika - 08-24-2020, 03:55 PM
great style coming in! not sure what else to tell you other than keep putting in the mileage but youre doing a lotta stuff right...

Could be worth it to save up and get a mentor to push deeper into the intermediate/advanced level youre at if you feel like no one is really pushing you

Seems like youre already doing that with the course, so its nice that you are sharing your progress :)
Thank you Fedodika!!! I'll try to save some money for a good mentor!!! Maybe one month to just give me some horizon.

Here I'll post the update of my final project for the end of the character design module of the João Bragato's Course, feel free to give feedback, advices and paintovers:

Attached Files Image(s)

As far as i can tell your not using object that have no relation to the theme your working toward maybe expect one thing i would say is bit outside of the general theme a good thing is like i said not necessarly just researching the theme specifically but also to look outside the box a good place for that is pinterest because you get bombarded by image.There different way to explore the theme outside the box. Creating your own color palette using the reference you collected,researching reference with interesting shape language to enrich the design, think of how this new shape language affect the motif and pattern, look for object with proportion that you would not necessarly previously use due to your own taste.Become aware of the thing that repeat in your work and avoid those thing or own them and make it part of your signature style.

Small critic on the last one the ellipse of that ''vase like object'' is really questionable aswell as the clean up but that just if your going to use it for something in particular.

My Sketchbook
I dunno but man to me the stellar thing of what you do is how personal your choice of design, proportions are. You seem to want to walk the line between gruesome, disturbing but also keeping the colorful and cartoon of more pleasing stuff. It's a big clash but maybe it gets you somewhere unique. Definitely your ideas/design overall is what leaves me awestruck. And you plan so much man, thanks for showing that out. I really need to dig into your stuff. Thumbs up!