scrap's book
Rainbow 
(07-12-2020, 05:21 AM)darktiste Wrote: Hey wait come back show us more of that sweet rendering...if you don't mind...

Cheers man! I need to do more painting from life so I can become more efficient with my strokes — that'll just be something that improves over time! In the meantime I did some sketches without reference, struggling with ideas. I'm away tomorrow and Monday so going to take my actual sketchbook out and see what I can do.

[Image: uaL5uXj.jpg]
Nice work on the new sketch, love how you really came up with some interesting head shapes and designs while keeping it practical as well. The plumber is my favorite :D Looking forward to more updates!

Rainbow 
(07-12-2020, 06:26 PM)cgmythology Wrote: Nice work on the new sketch, love how you really came up with some interesting head shapes and designs while keeping it practical as well.  The plumber is my favorite :D  Looking forward to more updates!

Cheers cg! Coming up with random things is the fun of it right — some sketches from the weekend, going to start working more in the sketchbooks.

[Image: xZ9VdYI.jpg]
[Image: FBzagda.jpg]
I enjoy your sketches, fill that sketchbook! :D
good old Hogarth anatomy studies, did a lot of those myself some time ago, will probably revisit him again.Hoghart and of course Andrew Loomis. Good stuff. Keep posting :)

Rainbow 
(07-16-2020, 02:39 AM)Shuty Wrote: I enjoy your sketches, fill that sketchbook! :D
good old Hogarth anatomy studies, did a lot of those myself some time ago, will probably revisit him again.Hoghart and of course Andrew Loomis. Good stuff. Keep posting :)

Thanks Shuty! I've studied Loomis a lot but didn't really take the time to apply what I'd learnt properly. Anyways had a bit of a frustrating day today, did some bad studies from Google Arts and Culture (a fantastic resource) and then some sketches and a watercolour hand study. As per my initial post — I have no idea what to draw/paint sometimes, I feel it's a case of building up the confidence to let my imagination roam sometimes.

[Image: NEBp5ZZ.jpg]
[Image: 7Xh1NaN.jpg]
Rainbow 
Went to the woods today and sketched a tree, really peaceful — I'm also doing studies from Bridgman and Hogarth but they're nothing to really look at, more just trying to understand some of my shortcomings.

[Image: DrCkhX7.jpg]
Nice tree. The parts where you made the hatching follow the shape and growth direction of the bark (such as around some of the branches) look the best.
Very nice ink sketches, and feel free to post some of those studies as well!

Drain gang
Rainbow 
(07-19-2020, 11:11 PM)Pubic Enemy Wrote: Nice tree. The parts where you made the hatching follow the shape and growth direction of the bark (such as around some of the branches) look the best.

Thanks man — I only had a short amount of time but I'll definitely be heading back to do more sketching from life.

(07-20-2020, 01:22 AM)ognjiša Wrote: Very nice ink sketches, and feel free to post some of those studies as well!

Thank you! I'm still trying to show some restraint when it comes to lines and hatching but getting better over time. Here's a study from a sculpture of "Ruth Gleaning" by Randolph Rogers:

[Image: LmUxmMY.jpg]
Are you aware of the concept of wrapping line?For example on a cylinder hatching would start to compress near the hedge to indicate turning of the form i think you want to avoid the evenness of the line making unless you want to imply flatness.

Here an example by some master.I think it would be a nice practice if you feel like your up to the challenge.Note also how the line is thicker in the shadow and how the fill some value in between the line.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Rainbow 
(07-20-2020, 05:09 AM)darktiste Wrote: Are you aware of the concept of wrapping line?For example on a cylinder hatching would start to compress near the hedge to indicate turning of the form i think you want to avoid the evenness of the line making unless you want to imply flatness.

Here an example by some master.I think it would be a nice practice if you feel like your up to the challenge.Note also how the line is thicker in the shadow and how the fill some value in between the line.

Hey dark — I've definitely seen artists use this in drawings, like Albrecht Durer and I do like the approach, I try to do it where it makes sense for me, sometimes I don't want to spend time on a certain part so just do some flat cross-hatching to add tone. I did another study and then some drawings from imagination from yesterday.

[Image: f8OtaFM.jpg]
[Image: veCTnug.jpg]
Rainbow 
Trying to stay positive with our lord and saviour Bob Ross watching over me — what a frustrating week of drawing. I'm going back to studying Hogarth, I'm not entirely sure how far to take these studies in terms of what's the best use of my time? Spending 2 hours rendering the entire thing or just doing some sketches to get the information into my head, though the drawings look absolutely terrible. If anyone has any advice that would be great.

Below you can see some sketches of my hands in biro, and then some Hogarth studies from most rushed to least rushed though I gave up on all of them, I still got something out of it in terms of proportions. I'm reading his Dynamic Anatomy book and I like how he introduces it in terms of the duality of art and science and how we need a modern (though this book is old) take on figurative art — which I totally agree with. I don't know, I think when I get to this point of frustration I just want to draw from my head and see what appears on the paper.

[Image: 8KsC3Dj.jpg]
[Image: SlH9oTG.jpg]
[Image: S2bOHCM.jpg]
[Image: Mov6zwk.jpg]
The intention is not perfection the intention is to reach your goal.Perfection is the action of doing until mastery.Be clear with your intention before starting and you have better chance to go toward what you aim to reach.Sketching to me is more like note making will rendering is like test your mastery.You are far better of sketching alot than rendering alot.Since sketching tend to be quicker you can adjust your plan of action at a better rate.

My Sketchbook
Rainbow 
(07-25-2020, 09:26 AM)darktiste Wrote: The intention is not perfection the intention is to reach your goal.Perfection is the action of doing until mastery.Be clear with your intention before starting and you have better chance to go toward what you aim to reach.Sketching to me is more like note making will rendering is like test your mastery.You are far better of sketching alot than rendering alot.Since sketching tend to be quicker you can adjust your plan of action at a better rate.

Hey dark, thank-you for these words, they helped me out — I did some more studies today from Hogarth, not intending to be super precise but to ingrain the anatomy of the human body into my tiny mind.

The first few sketchbook pages are studies, the two figures with the smiley/unsmiley face in between are from memory — based on this test my knowledge of the upper body is fairly good from the front, legs and feet are something I need to work on, as well as the back/lower back. The plan is to just work through the book and draw each image a few times if necessary to get it cemented — I'm skimming the head parts but will focus on the separate attachments (nose, eyes, ears) as I've studied the head quite a lot already.

The last image is the sketch of an artwork I'm working on, it's fairly surreal, I'm calling it 'Lifted' for now.

[Image: mdiHPCH.jpg]
[Image: PROI6ZJ.jpg]
[Image: z8Gs5wX.jpg]
[Image: dxJ7jwW.jpg][Image: Dtwo19D.jpg]
[Image: XQXkPMz.jpg][Image: fifhlLZ.jpg]
You would be much better of having a specific goal in mind rather than copying to extract something at random why make it accidental improvement when you can work smart.I know as artist we tend to think seeing is knowing but without though it just going printer mode and shutting off any real gain you could be making if you were deliberatly working toward goal.I know that setting goal is a big problem for most because it put them in front of something they might not have sucess in achieving but that shouldn't stop you .Failure is the only way to gain insight in what is being done right and wrong.If you draw something it important that you try to also apply it to your own personal work so that you in a sense solidify that knowledge and that your brain record that this is important information to remember but it a good start to draw from memory i think it just even better to find a way to practice what you learn into something you did yourself.

Avoid long stretch of only studying to see if you actually have learned something or if you were simply observing without retain what you saw.

Here one of my oldest post on forum but it still as relevant as ever i believe.

How to learn to draw and the importance of practical dialogue over mindless pratice
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4107.html

My Sketchbook
Nice sketchbook so far, for shadows, I recommend trying to simplify them into shapes before rendering. That might help you out a bit.
Rainbow 
(07-27-2020, 09:14 AM)darktiste Wrote: You would be much better of having a specific goal in mind rather than copying to extract something at random why make it accidental improvement when you can work smart.I know as artist we tend to think seeing is knowing but without though it just going printer mode and shutting off any real gain you could be making if you were deliberatly working toward goal.I know that setting goal is a big problem for most because it put them in front of something they might not have sucess in achieving but that shouldn't stop you .Failure is the only way to gain insight in what is being done right and wrong.If you draw something it important that you try to also apply it to your own personal work so that you in a sense solidify that knowledge and that your brain record that this is important information to remember but it a good start to draw from memory i think it just even better to find a way to practice what you learn into something you did yourself.

Avoid long stretch of only studying to see if you actually have learned something or if you were simply observing without retain what you saw.

Here one of my oldest post on forum but it still as relevant as ever i believe.

How to learn to draw and the importance of practical dialogue over mindless pratice
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4107.html

Hey dark — I do have a specific goal in mind currently, it's to be able to draw anatomically correct figures without reference. The figures from memory in my previous post were me testing what I know against what I think I know. I do understand that more work from memory will help cement the knowledge that I'm acquiring from the studies. Also I know what you mean when you refer to printer mode but this is exactly why I wasn't so precious on being accurate, otherwise I'm concentrating more on making a copy instead of think where the muscles connect and what they do, I can worry about being accurate in other drawings.

I will give your post a read later tonight, but thank-you for your reply. Also just for notice, the digital sketch I posted is from memory also.

(07-27-2020, 12:11 PM)Demon Lizardman Wrote: Nice sketchbook so far, for shadows, I recommend trying to simplify them into shapes before rendering. That might help you out a bit.

Thanks Demon Lizardman (please legally change your name to this) — I'll bear that in mind, I'm hoping to push the last piece to its last legs so thank-you.
Rainbow 
Didn't get too much done tonight, long day, tired — but I did some sketches from Hogarth, then gave up, I was going to go through the book page by page but after my session tonight I think I'll jump between sections studying what I need to definitely improve on. The last digital sketches are all from memory.

Should be able to get more done tomorrow, got a few notes I need to study.

[Image: OGHVkCC.jpg]
[Image: UdruuAi.jpg]
Great updates, scrap! I'm really digging your Lifted piece! It's awesome to see how surreal it is already, and I'm excited to see how it progresses :)
Rainbow 
(07-28-2020, 01:48 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: Great updates, scrap! I'm really digging your Lifted piece! It's awesome to see how surreal it is already, and I'm excited to see how it progresses :)

Thanks chubby! I'm probably going to leave that to work on until the weekends where I can put some proper time into it. No excuses today but I had to work late and didn't have much time, the quality of these sketches bothers me — I think tomorrow I might do some figure painting/sketching with accuracy in mind, I apologise — I also left some out because they were that bad. Digital sketches are from memory.

[Image: YzKwjwI.jpg]
[Image: IPejk9f.jpg]
[Image: G9VIW3C.jpg]