Crimson CHOW #24 - Underwater Assassin - FINALS
»Underwater Assassin«

The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
  • Only ONE character.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

Deadline is Feb 7th @ UTC: 23:59

Voting from Feb 7th -  Feb 12th

-+|| FINALS THREAD ||+

Here's my final submission to the challenge; underwater assassin. 

[font=Trebuchet MS]When the world's oceans flooded the land and submerged all but the most inhospitable environments, the surviving human tribes have moved their hunting grounds underwater. [/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS]The hunters of these tribes have perfected their scuba suits to mimic the octopus' camouflage in order to blend into the reefs. They use air-pressured harpoons to shoot and hook their prey, then force the remainder of their air through their scuba-packs to quickly drag the prey to the surface, where the rafts pick them up. [/font]

Critique and learnings: this is the second character design I've ever done, which might explain why I chose to spend more effort on the suit- and harpoon design instead of properly rendering the character and face. 
The final angle of the design is definitely "unorthodox", and was I to deliver this to a 3D modeler, she/he would be very upset with me. 
I really enjoyed using VR for my concept pipeline, it's such a powerful design tool. 
While I had a cool narrative in mind with a different camera angle, I couldn't quite capture it the way I wanted to. 
The way this challenge pushed me out of my comfort zone was very nice, and I'm happy with the end result despite obvious shortcomings. 

Looking forward to seeing the other submissions!

"No man is more unhappy than he who never faces adversity. For he is not permitted to prove himself." - Seneca

Nice, already really like what I'm seeing here!
Jumped in today and tried to not lose myself completely in it!
Didn't have a very long timewindow to do this today, so I'm glad I actually did the whole thing in around 3 hours.
Went for a more human, underwater Boba Fett type of assassin-dude.

Cheers and you guys have a nice Sunday,
Max

-------------------------------------------------------

SKETCHBOOK // INSTAGRAM // WEBSITE

-------------------------------------------------------
"Losing all hope was freedom."
Here is my finished Underwater Assasin, wich is based on an anglerfish. Better not get too close to that light fishies!

All entries are fantastic, but mixedmax your work is really eyecatching. I love the way you painted the water and that you put details ins the character with only little light.

[Image: asKlo9ph.jpg]

Wow - really great entries all!

@gerbenpasjes 
Awesome camera angle and backstory!  I love how you used 3D to build out your concepts!

@Ash 
Great creature design - her giant tail looks like it could do some damage!

@mixedmax 
I love the design and the extra threads hanging off his suit - great work!

@jana
Wonderful creature design here - a real deepwater assassin!

Here's my effort:

Kwy Et had tracked his target across two provinces but when he finally came to complete his contract, he realised that it conflicted with his assassin's code: No Children.  He hesitated ...

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

I didn't make one, but these are all really cool! I thought a little bit about what I would do, but didn't really come up with anything good. The idea of a harpoon type weapon makes a lot of sense.

Sorry about some of the hiccups in hosting the CHOW. Will have it sorted out next time - don't really know what I'm doing with the way the forums work.