Kassatay's sketchbook
those last studies are really good, you're grasping the form quite well ! wanna see more stuff and painting from imagination ! keep it up !

Excellent advice from 'Who'! Drawing from imagination and learning to finish things will really help you so much in the long run. I too had the mind set of 'I'll only draw from imagination when I feel my skills are ready', but the ready never comes. It's always a sliding scale, if you let it be. It's hard, but know by doing it you are heading in the right direction and will help create a bridge over where you are and where you want to be. I sense potential in you! I will be watching your journey with much excitement and curiosity. :D
The last batch of studies is looking good! Looks like your building up good mileage!

As for drawing from imagination. Personally, I will sometimes do drawings or paintings 100% without reference just to see where I need to improve or where I need to study more. It's a bit of a double-edged sword because you can get stuck in doing things "wrong" because you have no reference to compare to...

On the other hand, it teaches you to sketch and mock stuff up quickly and pull things from your visual library. I'm not 100% sure to this day where I stand with this method. More research is required for sure ...

Those studies are giving me flashbacks... Spitting image of what I had to do in joint BAGame Design and BAFine Art classes. We'd watch Scott Robertson. We'd draw boxes. We'd draw gestural lines. We'd do life drawing and when the model moved the tutor would point out what was 'wrong' with how we saw the body. We'd stand around while the tutor asked us asinine questions about what an axis was. It was suffocating.

I only remark on this because you mentioned you're not confident in drawing from the imagination. I found certain curriculum stifling, and boxed-in the thought processes behind an artwork instead of only acting as a guide to bring an artwork into focus. People put too much value on it.

It's good to have the skills to reflect on your work and note areas of improvement, but definitely, I recommend starting to pull from your imagination and challenge your creativity before the fundamentals wear you down.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
(03-14-2021, 11:05 AM)RottenPocket Wrote: Those studies are giving me flashbacks... Spitting image of what I had to do in joint BAGame Design and BAFine Art classes. We'd watch Scott Robertson. We'd draw boxes. We'd draw gestural lines. We'd do life drawing and when the model moved the tutor would point out what was 'wrong' with how we saw the body. We'd stand around while the tutor asked us asinine questions about what an axis was. It was suffocating.

I only remark on this because you mentioned you're not confident in drawing from the imagination. I found certain curriculum stifling, and boxed-in the thought processes behind an artwork instead of only acting as a guide to bring an artwork into focus. People put too much value on it.

It's good to have the skills to reflect on your work and note areas of improvement, but definitely, I recommend starting to pull from your imagination and challenge your creativity before the fundamentals wear you down.
I might be mistaken here but the language used when you describe your joint BA makes me think you might have studied in the UK (I think Americans have different terminology ? )If you did would you mind saying what uni it was ?

It's just I was under the impression that art degrees in the UK barely focus on fundamentals at all but if there is a degree that focuses on them, I might be tempted to go back to uni to study that.  Or maybe Feng Zhu school of design.

Hi Kassatay — thanks for commenting in my sketchbook and offering the suggestion — I appreciate it!

You mention here that you sometimes don't feel confident about your art — but I'm actually VERY impressed!

Your portraits are really nicely done — you have a great sense of light, form, color, and value — and you've clearly been doing a lot of work with studies etc.

I'm glad you tried a piece from imagination — which is a skill that can be developed like anything else you've put your mind to.

As for a suggestion — don't be hesitant to use references once you begin a piece from your imagination — most of the great artists I've read about turn to them to get details right — and it really helps.

Anyway — keep up the great work — you have a LOT of talent!

Thank you all for your feedbacks it is much appreciated. Long time i didn’t post anything in the sketchbook. I was a bit down this period.

Here is a portrait sketch done today. I tried to make it more expressive. Gotta get back to drawing and be more consistent.

Attached Files Image(s)

Trying to add more volume to the face and some pencil sketches. Still feel I messed up the hair completely.

Attached Files Image(s)

Trying to emulate Aaron Griffin style....I love his way of painting.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, you're pulling all these styles off very well, nice! Piercing eyes with the pencildrawings!
Thanks Ash for visiting my sketchbook. Yes I’m trying to find a style.

Couple of figure studies from reference today and lip studies. I still have hard time rendering lips and eyes.
Started doing movie stills also, they are quite fun to do.

Attached Files Image(s)

Trying to learn oil painting along with digital. 1h burnt sienna study.
I’ll try to make at least one painting a day.

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful works, how old are you painting?
(06-09-2021, 05:57 PM)Osya Wrote: Beautiful works, how old are you painting?
Hello Osya, thanks for checking my sketchbook . I’m not sure to understand...what do you mean how old?
(06-09-2021, 10:47 PM)Kassatay Wrote:
Hello Osya, thanks for checking my sketchbook . I’m not sure to understand...what do you mean how old?
I'm sorry, I don't know English very well. I ask how long do you draw?
(06-10-2021, 02:22 AM)Osya Wrote:
No worries me neither I’m not fluent in English. I was drawing as a hobby but I got serious about it just 4 months ago.
I did my first oil painting 2 months ago. I’m still learning and looking for ways to improve.
(06-10-2021, 03:25 AM)Kassatay Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 02:22 AM)Osya Wrote:
No worries me neither I’m not fluent in English. I was drawing as a hobby but I got serious about it just 4 months ago.
I did my first oil painting 2 months ago. I’m still learning and looking for ways to improve.
You are moving in the right direction. I'm happy for you. See you later)
Thank you Osya much appreciated.
Thanks for checking out my sketchbook

Today I tried using only round brush for a ballerina sketch. Had fun painting joker in oil.

Attached Files Image(s)

Today’s studies using round brush. I was always afraid of the regular round brush but now I find it fun to use.

Attached Files Image(s)

Late night quick study using round brush. Trying to play with subtle hue variation on the skin tone.

Attached Files Image(s)