Feeling like a loser
(04-28-2015, 02:47 AM)Jeso Wrote:
(04-27-2015, 05:16 PM)mimimimi Wrote: @Jeso Yes, your critique sounds harsh because you seem to think you can read my mind. Thanks four your reply and the video though.
Yes, I think I should get a job in arts but I don't think so because I went to an art school or because I was drawing all my life. I think I should get one because people who are no better than me can get a job with their drawings and because I try hard. There was a time when I thought I am pretty damn good and then I received my first real constructive critique, wich was harsh too, but it helped me. And then I started to work on my skills and getting serious. And by the way my art school was a fun place and I liked it, but I didn't learn any fundamentals there. I know it sounds weird but I got to try different techniques and a little bit of life drawing vegetables and had to visit classes in photography and serigraphy. It was all fun but I wasn't ever taught about lightning and colour use and anatomy or whatever. And when I studied graphic design you can already imagine that they didn't teach me art fundamentals too.
Okay, I understood you well enough that my art sucks and I am a total beginner in your opinion. When I say I think I should get work I am not talking about a great and famous game developer with publishing AAA titles. But you think my work is not even enough for a small indie dev?
Woa woa, I dont think I can read your mind buddy, I said based on what you wrote on your post, this is what you are communicating. And see, you proved my point again with this post... you say "I think I should get a job because people who are no better than me can get a job with their drawings and because I try hard" You know what I mean? this mentality is super entitled, you dont deserve anything, it doesn't matter how hard you think you are trying, or if somebody else got hired and you didn't. You'll get a job when you get it through action, not by entitlement. And by this I mean, getting your work up to a lvl, and promote yourself well enough that clients will start responding your emails, or seeking you out, cause your actions now've changed their mind.
And I didn't say you art sucks, what I mean is that in this industry, Illustration and concept art, the standard for what is even considered beginner freelancer is really really high. They never cut you any slack, like sure, you can find personal clients in deviant art or whatever and get paid 50$ for a week of work... but I was talking about actual companies, not even AAA ones, but just like beginner lvl company work. When I look at your work, and if maybe we talk about like a super indi game developer, I think you could do it actually, but I wouldn't expect the pay to be any kind of good. And to be honest, I said your work is not good enough to get beginner freelance, but you are not far from it! Seriously I by no means meant you sucked, I think you are very close to reach a lvl where you can get some jobs.

Just, get rid of the entitled mentality, and keep working hard.

Okay, thank you -_-
Hope I can improve and not spend like another 20 years just to find out that I still can't get anywhere...
I'll try to get on the right path again and work... -_-

Messages In This Thread
Feeling like a loser - by mimimimi - 04-26-2015, 07:51 PM
RE: Feeling like a loser - by Adam Lina - 04-26-2015, 11:04 PM
RE: Feeling like a loser - by mimimimi - 04-26-2015, 11:44 PM
RE: Feeling like a loser - by Adam Lina - 04-27-2015, 12:15 AM
RE: Feeling like a loser - by mimimimi - 04-27-2015, 12:31 AM
RE: Feeling like a loser - by Adam Lina - 04-27-2015, 12:52 AM
RE: Feeling like a loser - by Patrick Gaumond - 04-27-2015, 01:02 AM
RE: Feeling like a loser - by Jeso - 04-27-2015, 04:44 AM
RE: Feeling like a loser - by RickRichards - 04-27-2015, 06:21 AM
RE: Feeling like a loser - by mimimimi - 04-27-2015, 05:16 PM