Environment Design Mentorship call for interest
Environment Design Course

Greetings Daggers!

I'd like to test in this thread if there is any interest in an environment design course/mentorship I am thinking of running sometime in the next few months.  This is the equivalent of a CGMA, or Brainstorm environment design course, except it will be totally free.

If you are interested in participating please make a quick comment below .
SIGNUPS ARE NOW CLOSED due to the huge amount of interest.   If you haven't signed up you can still do the assignments and participate in the class threads, but If I take on more I won't be able to guarantee personalised crits due to numbers. Sorry!

If I don't know you already, tell me a little bit about you, a link to your work, what you want to achieve, what kind of things you might like me to help you with through this course.

The Goal
The aim is to help people improve their approach to painting environments and give you some workflow tools and processes along the way. If you do the work you will hopefully also come out with one or two finished environment designs to use in your folio.

The Course
We will work on a process that will develop one (or two) environment designs in a cohesive world and bring them up to a highly polished level that you will be able to use in your folio. The focus will be on coming up with polished, production illustrations that might be used for pitch or promotional work rather than quick concept iteration, but all the fundamentals will still apply.

This is the perfect opportunity to develop a setting for your own IP or we can easily come up with some prompts. 
  • Duration: ~6-8 weeks. (tbc)
  • Starting: tbc. Probably Late September/October. Definitely before the end of the 2015!
  • Time Required: 3-10+ hours per week.
  • Weekly study assignments, and project work.
  • Weekly group Redlines and crit stream / hangout sessions (dependent on the speed of my connection) 
Environment work tends to use all the fundamentals in concert so it will be a workout!  

Open to everybody!
I love being inclusive, not exclusive. This will be running for all to participate in. No special chosen ones here.
That said not everybody will be at the same level. Some basic pre-requisites I recommend you start looking into now before this begins  

Perspective  Learn the basics of setting up 1, 2 and 3 point perspectives. Perspective is is a very technical subject and one that can be intimidating because of the jargon.  I don't think it is necessary to go to crazy levels of understanding to get started with creating spaces for your environments. Understanding the basics of 1, 2, and 3 point perspective construction is a good start as I won't be going into too much detail on this one.

Traditional work is welcome, all styles are welcome. Keep in mind that my expertise is in digital work, so I won't be able to help that much with specific technical tips but I can still help you with the fundamentals of your pieces. 

How it will work
Study assignments and project work will be posted weekly. Weekly deadlines will be set. 
Only work that gets submitted before the deadline will be chosen for crits.
Crits will be streamed and posted so people can ask questions and learn from others' mistakes. 

Why are you doing all this cool stuff for free!?
I won't lie, I want to teach. I LOVE teaching and helping others. I have been doing it through informal critiques and so on for years already. This is just one way of making it more official.  I might use what I learn in this process to create future programs for learning, perhaps focused on self-teachers, but really, I have no concrete plans at this time. It just feels to be the right thing to do.

I also want to encourage people to help each other. It is easy to be a taker and to put the almighty dollar above everything else. I see many programs of individualised mentorship and learning popping up. Now these are a brilliant resource and I respect that time=money in practical terms in the long run, however I want to start by trying something a bit different. I want to try and cultivate a culture of giving! We can all make the world we want to live in by acting accordingly. This is basically open source learning.

Of course running a course like this with personalised critique takes time which is time I am away from paying work! While I want to make it clear that I don't expect this at all, I will accept any paypal contributions you would like to make.  No amount is too small and is a good way to show appreciation and stay accountable to your obligation. 

As a bonus, if you contribute on any given week, I will guarantee a longer crit of your work that week.

Who is this guy? Never heard of him!
I have been on the serious self teaching art journey for about 3.5 years. I quit my cubicle monkey job and became a full time freelancer in Feb 2015.  

In the 5 months of freelance so far, I have worked for Fantasy Flight Games, Storium, a 3D animated Hollywood feature pitch project that I can't talk about, RPG tabletop games, Kickstarters, books and video games (Indies only so far). 

I was one of 12 illustrators to win an illustrator of the Future award last year which is an international competition, and be flown to LA in April 2015 for a week long workshop and oscar style award ceremony. Such an awesome experience. You guys should ask me about it in the streams if you are interested.

My work will be published in White Cloud Worlds Vol 3 coming out later this year which is an artbook of New Zealand Science Ficiton and Fantasy Art : http://www.whitecloudworlds.com/

I will be getting an artist feature in ImagineFX soon.

I guess I can call myself pro now however I know my work has much to improve on. I am still early on in the long game, so I will look forward to you guys teaching me a thing or two as well! Now here's some of my work.

[Image: tumblr_nsdzx3tDt81r74bnio1_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_nqhy20rPz81r74bnio1_1280.png][Image: tumblr_mtv5inqKDI1r74bnio1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mtz93tGSSP1r74bnio1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mwtg7j3YEw1r74bnio1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mtv5kazEY51r74bnio1_1280.jpg]

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0B_R_7withutrbVZ6T0ZMbTJvcWs]

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
Environment Design Mentorship call for interest - by Amit Dutta - 08-11-2015, 08:28 AM
RE: Environment Design Mentorship call for interest - by tutata - 08-12-2015, 07:41 AM
RE: Environment Design Mentorship call for interest - by sloppybrush - 08-12-2015, 07:10 PM
RE: Environment Design Mentorship call for interest - by Duhko - 08-13-2015, 03:13 PM
RE: Environment Design Mentorship call for interest - by anirudh_singh - 08-14-2015, 03:02 PM
RE: Environment Design Mentorship call for interest - by AnupDin - 08-15-2015, 08:10 PM
RE: Environment Design Mentorship call for interest - by MattDeMino - 08-28-2015, 06:00 AM
RE: Environment Design Mentorship call for interest - by Ampersands - 08-29-2015, 03:23 AM