BORN YESTERDAY - please help
Hi. You don’t know me but I "know" some graphic design artists (all concept designers) and theyr life seems pretty pink (read as "good and happy").  

I’m writing this because I want to know how is this industry of video games/movies. Some questions may seem to personal but I consider the direct approach is the best kind of approach a subject – of course not to personal. First of all, I’m 24years old and an architecture (building, environment desing + enginering) student in year 5 out of 6 and the future of this job seems very grim. There are to many students and not so much projects, all offices (here in Romania - its a country) are full, closing and/or want long interships (1-2 years with no pay at all or minimum wage if you are lucky). The skill in 2D/3D (for architecture projects) is no problem, but there is no request for projects – most of eastern Europe is the same (dont be fooled if a building nearby you is rising, that dose not mean that the market is flowing). All of projects go to that "especially" someone everytime and there is no more work for young folks. The main problem is that there are some old architects who aprehended all the market... long story in short version: THERE IS NO ROOM FOR NEW COMERS (you need to have some relatives or connections that allready have a architecture office to have at least a chance at a decent life as an young architect). If i continue this way... well my life is gona be a living hell.

Aaaaand… after facing this grim truth I was wondering about the video game/movie art industry. I was in an art highschool (drawing section) and all the classmates who further followed the art college had a very poorly start, but in 1-2 years they start to live very well – one is a freelancer that works one month and then he self improves for 2-3 months, and another one works in a studio and he makes backgrounds for Mobile App games (his skill is average but don’t know how he is more than decent payed – guess luck dose count sometimes). So in the last 5 months my perspective about jobs and the market request have drastically changed – I’m starting to regret not going to an art college (my first passion - dropped because i didnt think i could live decent..... gues i was wrong), struggle 1-2 years at first and then do what I like. But what the hell, life is short, I can still change – I hope. So I’m starting by collecting some feedback about this industry. Is it possible to get to a average-decentish-goodish-acceptable skill in 2D concept drawing in 1,5-2 years if I try to impove my self every day (3-4 hours every day, 6h/day in weekend and vacantions......average to good skill in hand drawing.....terribe at tablet dowing at the moment)???? And by average-decentish-goodish-acceptable skill in 2D concept drawing im referring if I could get a decent job in this industry ??? By decent i mean a normal pay, the weekly 40 hours are respeected and nice people. I cant afford to count on luck like the guy that I told you about. Im asking this because …. I saw on artstation.com a lot of artists who were freelancing, and usually when someone is freelancing, that means he is unemployed - most times (sad face). Or I am wrong? I don’t know what to belive because I saw their artworks and its beautifull -  im referring to those who have original concepts, awesome colouring skill and light knoledge, not to those who are just copying Deadpool, Batman, Sasha Grey etc. and make 3d of already made character concepts - that is copying.

So the short version of this important section – HOW EASY IS THE PROCESS OF FINDING A DECENT/CORRECT JOB IN THIS INDUSTRY AS A 2D CHARACTER/ENVIRONMENT CONCEPT IF I HAVE A DECENT-GOOD SKILL (i am referin mostly to stabile jobs, not freelancing, but opinions and advices on frelancing jobs are welcomed)??? ARE THE GOOD JOBS OUT THERE ALLREADY TAKEN LIKE IN THE ARCHITECTURE INDUSTRY??? 

Now I don’t even dream about jobs at studios like Ubisoft, Blizzard, Riot, Rockstargames, 20th Fox Century – I know they request +5 years of experience plus level of skill over 9000 (dragoon ball reference )… still here in Romania (country where I live) there are 2 big studios Gameloft and Ubisoft + a few smaller studios.  Some guy gave me a website with lots of jobs (like 120) but all of them were posted by super big companies who can affort to hire the best. And the main issue is... ok there are 100 good jobs.... but there are 10.000 good artists (hope i exagerated). Would that mean i would have to struggle like crazy just to find a decent job. I'm asking so much about the "jobs" in this industry because lets face it, everyone needs to make a living.

AND the second important section: HOW APPRECIATED IS THE ENVIRONMENT 2D CONCEPT/ENBIRONMENT PHOTOBASH? ARE THERE ANY JOBS ON THIS SECTION? DO YOU THINK 6 YEARS OF ARCHITECTURE AND URBANISM PLANNING ARE GONA HELP? I think this is what i would like to do.

Most people told me that “I must figure what I want from this industry, where I want to activate” but they didn’t told me any exact information about the jobs, how to work, what the average time for a pice of artwork (image – starting from sketches – composition – color study – detail… I don’t know the steps). The section in that I would like to work I allrady know it: environment. I also like character/vehicle/weapon/etc. design but these things are so "changeable". Think of The Witcher 3. Of course the main character is a badass, but this badassery dose not come from his armor or weapon design. the player changes this thing once every few hours. The "badassery" comes from his actions and attitude... which is more a moral character design job for a writher. But the environment... well that is unchangeble, it stays there, and it depends on the designer skill and imagination to capture the player. So yes, i think environment is what i like to do. To be more exact, 2D concept and maybe....MAYBE.... 3D design. But not texturing or jobs like this because i feel like my brain will die if im not trying to create something from scratches.

So what are your advices toards the artwork jobs (games and movies)? Do you have any suggestion for tutorials or other artists, books????  Guess at the end of those 1,5-2 years I should have a good CV - personal site nowdays. I heard that the internet buzz over your work is more important thanthe qualiti of it - dont know if it is true. But there are a lot of these nowdays and some of them have a series of outstanding works. Some advice what should I post? How could I “catch the eye” in an universal way? I mean take Blizzard and Riot - they have totally different styles. The question is: THERE IS A WAY TO CAPTURE THE INTEREST OF MOST OF THIS KIND OF STUDIOS? you know... like killing 2 birds with one rock.

To be honest I don’t even know for sure what to ask. I've just asked what i think was importtant. If i missed something, please say.  All I know is that in a short time I have to improve myself -  but what I do after? Please give your most honest answer. Till now I have asked for more than a few opinions and advices and I had very polite answers but not on subject, very rude ones (not worth mentioning), and maybe 2-3 answers that really helped me. Thank you and have a very nice day. Bye.

Messages In This Thread
BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by Simion Alexandru - 03-24-2016, 01:59 PM
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by John - 03-25-2016, 03:35 AM
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by John - 03-25-2016, 07:58 PM
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by Amit Dutta - 03-26-2016, 02:00 AM
RE: BORN YESTERDAY - please help - by Amit Dutta - 03-26-2016, 01:29 PM