How on earth do you get jobs?
Bug 
I'm gonna preface this by saying there is definitely a whole lot I haven't done yet in terms of looking for work, but largely I think that's because I don't really understand how to approach it in a practical, smart way.

I need to find work, any work (doing 2D illustration), freelance or otherwise. I have applied for a few job postings, as well as submitted my work to a few illustration agencies. But, the response has been complete dead air. The only real interest for my work is personal friends who don't want to pay more than beer money for full, custom paintings or designs. Freelance sites work in such a backwards way... What I really want is a small amount of decently paying jobs (I really don't need much, like $1000/month) rather than wasting my time scrounging bucket loads of small-budget jobs.

I've asked around my peer group, but the main suggestion people come back to me with is to do graphic design, or web design rather than illustration. While that is a more viable career field, it's useless to me because I don't have the knowledge or skill to do either well.

So, how do you even get started? I've really only gotten $20 individual commissions here and there, which is a huge waste of time if you want to be professional.

If anyone has advice or suggestions, I'd be extremely grateful.

My portfolio is HERE.

Messages In This Thread
How on earth do you get jobs? - by Vicianus - 07-01-2016, 11:05 AM
RE: How on earth do you get jobs? - by BadWoolf - 07-01-2016, 11:35 AM
RE: How on earth do you get jobs? - by BadWoolf - 07-01-2016, 11:42 AM
RE: How on earth do you get jobs? - by Amit Dutta - 07-01-2016, 05:03 PM