Poll: Is art school worth it for concept art?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
12.50%
1 12.50%
Depends on current funds
25.00%
2 25.00%
Depends on the art school
62.50%
5 62.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Your opinions on Art schools
There's a reason you will see a great deal of improvement in artists who go into art/game classes-- Particularly those willing to put in the time to work in classes, and outside them.

The reason for this, I think, is that you're constantly surrounded by the things you want to do in the industry. You're surrounded (hopefully), by teachers who have been there, and know what you're getting into. You're surrounded by students just like you, who are learning, and who can give you their opinion. You can build, and bounce feedback off of each other. You get your resources handed to you, and in turn, you can use those resources more easily, without getting lazy.

Having art all around you makes it easier to do art. Yes.

But, you need a good program, good teachers. It's not always easy to tell... I think I chose something perfect for me, but we'll see. In my case, the program's been up for about 6 or 7 years, so it's already hopefully worked through the kinks. The artists/professors produce stunning work, and have experience in the games industry. I looked at the curriculum, and it has everything that I'm looking for-- The facets of game art pipeline to learn and explore. Plus, life drawing, perspective, the important stuff. It also offers job placement at the end half of the final semester-- A foot in the door. We'll see what this means.

Self-teaching is absolutely an option though-- But, it takes more work, and effort. The beauty of it is, you plan your own curriculum, you get your own resources, you find your own teachers and can be selective (books, videos, whatever), it's usually a great deal cheaper. But, it means you have to make yourself do it, 8 hours a day, maybe more, every day, just like you would in school. You have to get up, and want to do the work. It's painful, to force yourself on the bad days. It's very difficult. But, no path to greatness is ever easy.

Self-teaching is for strong, focused individuals who can plan it out and put in the effort. :P I went on a self-teaching path for awhile, but realized that I need that atmosphere to pull me out of my comfort zone. And put me into a sort of comfort zone at the same time. I find it easier to learn with other people around me. I'm an extrovert. :P

Everyone has their own style.

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!

Messages In This Thread
Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-15-2017, 09:28 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-15-2017, 07:27 PM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-18-2017, 06:24 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-18-2017, 10:25 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-20-2017, 01:46 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-25-2017, 05:48 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-20-2017, 01:06 PM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Bookend - 04-17-2017, 10:37 AM