[UK] Art school: is it worth it?
Hi

I'm from the UK, I'm 17 years old and it's time I start making the decision what I'm going to do when I leave school.
Recently I completely tipped the scales and did a giant U-turn. I decided that I wanted to drop out of being an engineer and do art. I've been told I'm having a mid life crisis at 17. I've been told I'll end up as an odd-job. I've been told I'll be stuck in my parent's house forever. I've been told I'm just a dumb edgy teen and I should shut the fuck up and stick with what I'm good at.
I used to believe them. But I'm tired of following other people's opinions just to 'fit in' when no matter what I do I don't. Art is really my life. I suck pretty hard at it. But I'll do anything to improve. Honestly it's what's helped me survive school all these years. I'm the ugly duckling and it's time to accept it. I don't care if I don't turn into a swan. I just want to fly. I'm going to make it! If my art makes one person feel better about their life out there; I succeed.
But first I need to know what I'm doing. So I'll be asking some questions.

From what I've gathered art school's effectiveness is very dependent on the type of school you choose and whether you really invest in it. Let's say you choose a good art school. As far as I know the benefits are:
  • Everything's very direct and right there. You've got the supplies, the facilities, the advice, the mentoring, the accountability etc. Saves a lot of time looking for it yourself.
  • Connections and promotion. Hard to surface when you're 20,000 leagues under the sea. People looking for raw talent will look at art school exhibitions and you can get yourself employed easier. Plus you have a bunch of buddies you can rely on.
  • You're not living with your parents anymore. You're not sitting in your goofy looking bedroom being alone and stressed and depressed. You've got some direction. You're in an art environment that will encourage you.
And of course the disadvantages:
  • Money money money. You can end up in a lot of debt. But thing is - will I even pay it off and does it really matter if I don't? I only have a percentage of money deducted off what I own over £21,000 a year. And will I even earn that much a year as an artist? I can live on that much a year right?
  • Time. I'm stuck in that place for at least 3 years. If it turns out they waste my time with boring old curriculum bullshit I'll be stuffed.
I'm looking for good illustration courses. Here are the one's I'm considering in order of priority:

1. Cleveland college of art/ design, middlesborough
  2. Leeds art college
  3. Falmouth
  4. Plymouth art college
  5. UCA
  6. Loughborough uni
  7. Lincoln uni
  8. Norwich uni of arts
This is based off what I've seen from them so far, recommendations from other people, how close to home they are or how good the metal scene is there hehe

[Image: uOBOztR.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
[UK] Art school: is it worth it? - by Schwing - 07-19-2017, 04:29 AM
RE: [UK] Art school: is it worth it? - by Schwing - 07-21-2017, 07:24 AM