MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again
(03-19-2018, 12:26 PM)darktiste Wrote: One thing i would say is it normal that the fun is drifting away but don't let it discourage you when you attack area of incomfort it is only normal to feel like it a the end of the world but if you focus on learning instead of seeing all the little thing that get in the way you allready set to allow yourself to succed in those study.It normal that it can be frustrating after a few attemp that the result are not coming as fast as you want it but sometime it just that you didn't try long enought to understand what is not working .It help a great deal to have a strong understanding of the anatomy of the face first atleast to be able to represent the head in different position and to be able to locate and place the feature of the face realisticly but what will really is when you reach the point you understand how each part of the face merge into one an other creating value change.

I think you can learn a great deal by stepping away from a drawing and coming back later on and trying to find what went wrong.
I don't know if you can see it yourself but there is a progression of the confidence you have at first you seem to draw from memory rather than looking at the reference than something seem to change because you seem to realise you fall into the trap of drawing to much from memory you seem to be taking more time to draw what you see on the reference you even taking small note of what was wrong for example you decided to redraw the eye that was a smart move keep taking those kind of note and you will progress lighting fast.

I don't personnaly recommend drawing film from old era even if they come in white and black because the quality of the light aren't that great.If you have photoshop i recommend you learn how to turn a colored image into it greyscale version there tutorial on that i am pretty sure you can find it pretty easly.
When I step back from my work, for hours (or days) sometimes all I notice is that my work is just horribly off, not how. Learning what exactly is wrong is what is giving me so much trouble. It is so frustrating to simply learn there is something horribly wrong here but, not what.

As far as the images, what would you suggest I use then? I already know how to make them greyscale but, i thought these would be a good source. They appear to having good lighting to me.

(03-25-2018, 04:59 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: I just wanted to make a quick note. Black and white movies are great to study broad light and shadow and value blocking schemes. Any first year film / cinematography student is taught this because those moviemakers HAD to work to compose the 'values' and lights specifically for a colour free medium; whereas colour films have another dimension to them. And ofc hitchcock films are brilliantly shot as are many other film noir movies, so don't worry about that. thanks for the link actually, i hadn't seen that before...so many great compositional shots to learn from! Try some quick studies using simplification down to only 2 to 4 specific values in flat areas, focusing on the overall read. it's good for compositional and broad value arrangement practice

as for having fun....try harder....to let your toxic self criticism go. it's not a good sign if you can't enjoy drawing. i wouldn't get used to that. seriously, why are you doing it in the first place then? the answer won't lie in better skills. it's in your head.
I found the link to the site from another forum and thought it might make a good source. The director knows what he's doing and these images are really good for portraits - though for more action related shots or figure drawing I would need something else.
My values obviously still need work but, I'm far more concerned about the accuracy of my construction lines and line work. I still have trouble with those and it seems to be deeply effecting my drawings.
It's just so frustrating when I don't see any progress.

I've been watching a few videos on youtube like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8x_TClXuxM
Unfortunately the lessons seem to fly above my head. At this point I'm considering hiring someone locally to help me learn the very basics since I have not gotten far on my own.

[Image: 0110.jpg]
[Image: 0110_Drawing_1.jpg]
[Image: 0110_Drawing_2.jpg]
[Image: 0110_Drawing_3.jpg]
[Image: 0111.jpg]
[Image: 0111_Drawing_1.jpg]
[Image: 0111_Drawing_2.jpg]
[Image: 0177.jpg]
[Image: 0177_Drawing_1.jpg]
[Image: 0287.jpg]
[Image: 0287_Drawing_1.jpg]
[Image: 0287_Drawing_2.jpg]
[Image: 0287_Drawing_3.jpg]
[Image: 0371.jpg]
[Image: 0371_Drawing_1.jpg]
[Image: 0886.jpg]
[Image: 0886_Drawing_1.jpg]
[Image: 0886_Drawing_2.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - by MagneticScrolls - 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM