MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again
It's been a while. I wanted to post something substantial but, I found the quality of my work was not improving as much as I would have hoped.  Unfortunately too much time has passed since I last posted. It might be better if I post something of poor quality rather than nothing at all.
(04-17-2018, 12:29 PM)darktiste Wrote: I think it important for anyone that want to see real progress to be open about the idea of sharing what there currently studying .Sure there is a big problem in understanding how to move in the right direction.I think what is important is you develop a solid understanding on what fundamental support other more complex fundamental.You got to understand what is the root of a problem to solve it but you can't do it all by yourself there no need to be frustrated we are here to offer advice it up to you to be honest with yourself and to try to see if we offer you something that is gonna push you in the right direction.

I got a few suggestion of post i made that you might find interesting to lift you up and identify some problem you might be facing.

Positive thinking
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-6483.html
How to increase optimal workflow(the theory)
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-5494.html
W.p The artist sin
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4785.html
Remember that progress come with working smart and it still hard work don't get me wrong.No magic trick involve.

Sometime as artist we hit a plateau but it important to alway remember remember that being inside the problem prevent us from thinking outside the box that why i advice to take break when you sense something ain't right but you can't put you finger on it.Walk way from the work place and come back a few minute later if you can afford it.
This help you see you work as if it was the first time you seen it.The more advance technique use in digital media is to often zoom out and flip the canva it help show flaw of a drawing.

You can't be simply observing an error once you see it because you know it wrong so therefore you should know what fundamental what not sucessfully use in that piece.It than just a question of understanding what are the fundamental that are the weakest in those piece.

For the video you watching i would not advice to watch moderndayjames tutorial because he as a really strong draftmanship but he doesn't clearly define a process that is easy to interpret.He as no problem drawing without construction and as strong visualisation skill i advice you watch people who can show you how to construct more in depth he really simplfy stuff and make it look easy.

I advice this guy instead.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LighterNoteProd/videos

Don't be scared to go look into is older video he as alot of content that you might be missing if you don't dig up.He will really teach you how to think in term of volume.But not only that so check him out.
I'm giving these a look. I do need to improve how productive I am with my time. Quiet frequently I find myself frustrated and confused. As I have said before, I will know that there is a problem with my work and it looks entirely wrong but, I don't know how to fix it.

(04-17-2018, 03:59 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: This sb has devolved into us spewing resources and technique exercises at you and i think this is becoming an issue.  I don't want to continue this trend, however did you download and watch the dorien iten vids/gumroads i linked in my first post or not?

If not, please, before you watch anything else get the accuracy training one which is totally free and also his free articles on values and even the other paid series of vids. These resources are 1000 times better and more concise than most you'll find online and I've seen a lot.  He is a traditional atelier trained artist and he gets to the point quickly. Use the accuracy training guide to help with your portrait studies and any other observed studies immediately. Your observational skills need to be increased first. If you cannot judge an angle or measure relative distances of something that is directly in front of you then no amount of construction is going to help you.

This will directly help with your general draftsmanship as well. Do it. And as to getting a mentor i think you should start to look into it. You seem like you would do better with personalised instruction. Or Look into atelier courses near you if you can as they will give you the best foundation.
My apologies. I've been trying to find the root of the issues I'm having with learning how to draw. I might be interpreting this the wrong way but, I end up finding out there are prerequisites to the things i want to learn and when I try to learn those things there are prerequisites to those too.
I have been going over the free video as well as "Accuracy - A Drawing Guide". I've been trying to work on my measurements and proportions as best I can.

I searched for a couple of things. The first was an Atelier or something like one. My searches have brought up nothing though. Asking around places I only get the names of classes I have already been to.
There was a website that did bring up something, ARC (Art Renewal Center). However that glimmer of hope that it brought me was quickly dashed. The nearest instructed courses are about 200 miles away.

As for a mentor, I'm not quiet sure about how to search for one. I posted an ad up on one of the bulletin boards at one of the art supply stores near my house. I haven't seen anyone post an ad like what I'm asking for there but, there are classes so I assume this is the right way to go about doing this.

(04-17-2018, 04:19 PM)ThereIsNoJustice Wrote: Amit is right here. The issue is accuracy, which is itself a training in seeing accurately. You must be able to break what you see down into a puzzle of shapes. The well-known exercise is to draw something upside-down. Somehow this exercise tends to convince people to trust what they see more than using their own guesswork. And once you have done that, hopefully you will learn to trust what you see. This guy explains it well, but you don't have to watch the whole video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHPEv5wu...u.be&t=634
Yes, without some degree of accuracy I'm not going to get anywhere. I need to improve my ability to draw what I see before i can really see any sort of real improvement.

[Image: image.jpg]
[Image: D1a.jpg]

[Image: D2a.jpg]
[Image: D2b.jpg]
[Image: D2c.jpg]

[Image: D3a.jpg]

[Image: D4a.jpg]
[Image: D4b.jpg]

[Image: D5a.jpg]

[Image: D6a.jpg]
[Image: D6b.jpg]
[Image: D6c.jpg]

[Image: D7a.jpg]
[Image: D7b.jpg]
[Image: D7c.jpg]

[Image: D8a.jpg]
[Image: D8b.jpg]
[Image: D8c.jpg]

[Image: D9a.jpg]
[Image: D9b.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - by MagneticScrolls - 05-21-2018, 09:07 AM