To start somewhere as an architectural concept artist
Hi there,

My name is Aarnoud and I live in Belgium. Excuse me for my poor English.
This is a post just to get the word out there somewhere and hear what other people think.

As a recent graduate in architecture I decided to hold of on working like one for at least a year to persue an adventure in arts and illustration. Throughout my education I was always busy sketching and felt that now was the time, with a legitimate degree in my hands, to give some space and time to this "talent" that people seem to think I have. I hate that word so much because it implies I don't practise, while it was all I did in my spare time.

So this school year, with a part time job in architectural sketching research, I rolled in at an illustration school and while I was having a blast, I quickly noticed I'm just too ahead of everyone. So I said to myself why can't I do what this program of 3 years offers me in 1? This week, I decided to take on only some really cool classes like figure drawing and picture analysis and the for the rest just learn it all a whole lot faster by myself.

I also went back to this article of Noah Bradley I once read and thought: well this is applicable to me. Besides the list of books and tutorials I concluded I needed two things: a goal and feedback. I can't just draw everyday endlessly and keep it all to myself so I posed myself these three questions:

1) How I can add something to this world?
2) What excites me? (Tim Ferris trick)
3) What am I good at?

And the answer revealed itself: an architectural concept artist.

It would be really cool if I could visualise ideas and designs for architecture firms. I know from my education in architecture there is a high demand for hand drawings in a sea of absurd 3D renderings. 
Stupidly enough I recognised I was already doing this throughout my career for group assignments and research purposes, but just as something on the side.

With my job now I can draw at least 4 hours every day and then some more during the evening in the weekends. Hell, I'm doing it already. I wanted to ask of you guys a couple of questions:

1) What is the most effective way to learn all of this material that Noah Bradley recommends. 
2) What is the best way to share my work with you guys and the world. 
3) How do I keep track of my goal and structure it in a way so that I put myself on tight deadlines.

I am also blown away by the book "drawing on the right side of the brain" by Betty Edwards. Like a part of me that was always there suddenly came to fruition. I also adore the work of Syd Mead.

Sorry for the long talk, here are some recent drawings I made ranging from illustrative work to figure drawing lessons.

Messages In This Thread
To start somewhere as an architectural concept artist - by Aarn0ud - 10-26-2017, 05:33 AM