How do I figure out exactly what I need to study, and what questions to ask myself?
So I'm pretty much a beginner (here is my Sketchbook and link to IG http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-8451.html) and I've been trying to put in some time and effort into improving by doing a wide range of studies since all of my fundamentals are terrible. However the problem is, I often just mindlessly copy the reference even when I try hard not to. Sometimes it ends up really similar, and sometimes it doesn't - but almost always I hardly learn anything from it.

I'm aware of this and yet when I try to actively think about what I 'need to focus' and 'learn' on from a study piece, I absolutely can't think of anything. Basically, I have no idea of the type of questions I should be actively asking myself when I'm doing a study so that I can actually learn from it and improve.

Could this just be a matter of mileage? I admit I hardly put in the amount of time I should be putting in. Are these questions I should be asking myself during studies something I'd pick up on and learn along the way, after maybe a couple hundred hours of doing them?

Appreciate any reply, thanks.

Messages In This Thread
How do I figure out exactly what I need to study, and what questions to ask myself? - by TokyoNova - 02-02-2018, 09:09 PM