How to seriously improve drawing/painting from imagination?
Lately I've been putting in quite a bit of work and doing more and more studies, however I've come to realise that I'm only learning so much from these, as I'm pretty much missing the entire point - which is to apply them to your own work.

However my ability to draw from imagination is absolutely abysmal. Because of this I find it extremely difficult to even start a piece from imagination, let alone finish one. I'm 22 and since I started drawing as a kid, I could probably count on 1 hand how many original pieces I've created. Most of it stems from a huge fear of creating terrible drawings - I just can't get over that fear. And I'm 99% sure that this is the main thing holding me back from improving at a fast rate. Doing 'studies' from reference will only get me so far if I'm not applying them to anything.

So I was wondering if anyone had some helpful advice or know any resources that deal with this? I've looked around and haven't found anything that helps. Any reply is greatly appreciated - thanks.

Messages In This Thread
How to seriously improve drawing/painting from imagination? - by TokyoNova - 03-16-2019, 09:34 PM