Functional Design
Hey, is it true that things look the way the do because of what they do?

Does function rule/dictate the shape/form something is going to take?

Can you figure out what the purpose of parts of an object are just by observation

How do you research how things work? Read about it, see it in action, Study multiple views?

Are there any general rules and limits on the mechanics that objects are capable of?
Are there any basic laws of how mechanisms work?

It seems that understanding the mechanisms of how things work is just as important as perspective for making something up out of your head. If you have the experience of understanding alot of different objects and their part's functioning and location. Like the humerus rotates inside the scapula, or the knee flexes and extends.

Is the base of it as simple as hey this thing turns, this thing pulls, this thing twists, this thing reaches toward the sun, etc. ?

Is it as simple as using verbs and adjectives to understand mechanisms?

p.s. I don't have a clear cut question, I don't really know what I'm asking. I'm brainstorming because I don't get how to understand more complicated objects I guess. And wondering about the importance of the function of things and how one can go about by breaking things down and understanding them, without being an engineer or industrial designer and getting into all that math boleshit.

Messages In This Thread
Functional Design - by Forsaken Pluto - 05-08-2020, 12:42 PM
RE: Functional Design - by JosephCow - 05-08-2020, 02:23 PM
RE: Functional Design - by Forsaken Pluto - 05-09-2020, 01:26 AM
RE: Functional Design - by JosephCow - 05-09-2020, 04:21 AM
RE: Functional Design - by darktiste - 05-13-2020, 02:38 AM
RE: Functional Design - by Pubic Enemy - 05-09-2020, 07:44 AM
RE: Functional Design - by Artloader - 05-12-2020, 01:40 AM
RE: Functional Design - by darktiste - 05-13-2020, 02:28 AM
RE: Functional Design - by Forsaken Pluto - 09-13-2020, 07:50 AM