Need Some Direction
alright thats a good bit to work with,

so what i would then suggest is concept out your portfolio to come,
since your quite close to my own directions
this is how i personally approach it.

Much as i can i work in series, i think its good practice for developing skills for consistency

Ill put some visuals to maybe help show what i mean..
I split things up for one into personal IP and existing IPs

everything i make has skill building motives behind it
first section is my characters, i think of it nowadays like collecting figures except i just draw em cos i cant afford real collectibles- working on rendering, anatomy, some costuming, working well with reference

down from that got some portraiture that aims beyond just a 1 to 1 of the reference
woking on portraiture obviously but also have the chance for texture and story telling withing a characters look
some dragon portraits, i think making nice dragons is pretty hard and few people do it in a way i enjoy so
i have many dragons i havent been able to paint to the look i want yet.

(i have heaps of unfinished paintings and just as a personal thing i plan to finish most of them as my skills catch up to the idea i was trying to hit)

under that are some character stuff based on existing ip
purpose being to create a distinctive yet cohesive set with pose variation and working with varying levels of reference
some of these characters have allot of existing images some very few, so its an exercise in adapting existing characters

the mortal kombat portraits again for portraiture and adapting existing designs and also having the secondary use for exposing my work combining it with something that has an existing fan base that can eventually bridge people to my personal work too

below that ive got some adaptations of classical paintings
its like doing master copies while also ending up with something new, they can be great for learning

then ive got what id call poster, book cover type group shot things
i enjoy composing characters like this and its something i want to be good at. lots of visual juggling, push and pull to practice here.

and what i dont have much on show is the more total illustrations ive painted because im not satisfied with them
but theyre coming

i aim to make some that would work for card art companies and do some splash type work for potential game stuff.

[Image: annotation_2020_08_03_011340_by_andrew_g...jB7XtyV40k]

next thing.

i think about time and being able to put things out so, i categorize further into
master illustrations, only calling it this because theyre the ones i plan to spend hundreds of hours on and not done till its as i want it to look haha

illustrations that will take in the 10s of hours, based on complexity and rendering level.

single or 2-3 session illustrations maybe upto 6 or 7 hour type work

and speed pant type things more like 40 min to 3 hours type

----

the longer form ones are the ones i really want to nut out and make something grand, the mid range are like just long as its cool and looks finished, these 2 levels are for the rendering practice more towards realistic kinda stuff and developing understanding of form, light, texture, composition, leading the eye around the page, pushing and pulling values to get a good read

the shorter stuff caters more to drawing skills, conception, experimentation, warming up, not feeling like you ever finish anything, studying specific things like gesture or expression

so i have work of all levels going at the same time.

---

ok! so i suggest from here, flesh out your mock port folio into a few categories for the type of illustrations you would imagine would show what youre about/get the type of work youd enjoy
have maybe 4-5 in each category to get a good idea of what that category is.
once you can see that in front of you... the next part is to begin replacing the mock port folio with the real deal

maybe by this point youl have some ideas for illustrations you may want to make
sketch out some that you plan to be long works that youl invest time in

when you are working on these, get stuck.. then get un stuck by developing your skill for self critique
and also you can ask people like me if youre unsure even what is stuck or not as successful as youd like.

hope that helps  Tongue

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357

Messages In This Thread
Need Some Direction - by GenesisLoop - 08-02-2020, 01:33 AM
RE: Need Some Direction - by xelfereht - 08-02-2020, 03:47 AM
RE: Need Some Direction - by GenesisLoop - 08-02-2020, 05:40 PM
RE: Need Some Direction - by xelfereht - 08-02-2020, 11:40 PM
RE: Need Some Direction - by GenesisLoop - 08-03-2020, 12:38 AM
RE: Need Some Direction - by xelfereht - 08-03-2020, 02:01 AM