hello all :~)
@Artloader, yep it's acrylics! i love how smooth paint is so i've been experimenting with it recently. i'm currently using cheapie ones but honestly i think skill is more important than quality of supplies. ill check out that vid today probably!

ALSO: here is my ramblings/intro as promised. i'm currently an art school freshman and the whole thing has just been a complete whirlwind so far. i had to take a 3d conceptual art class, which totally blew my mind. i also had to take a technical drawing class, but with probably the hardest and worst drawing professor in the department. my peers are SO talented and honestly it intimidates me. in my drawing class i was solidly average.. and as someone wanting to go into either painting or illustration i feel like i should have excelled in such a class and i feel guilty and weird for being where i'm at. i'm also worried about getting into the major i want, ect. ect.

somewhere along the line this year i stopped making personal art completely, and i was only doing classwork. i was still drawing for hours a week, but all of it went to the drawing class. i technically didn't stop making art for any period of time, but i stopped making art that matters.

i've only been making art since the summer of 2015 and i also feel "behind" compared to my peers. i'm with kids who've seriously been drawing since middle school, who've been in art programs for all of high school. i know it won't really matter when we all kind of plateau out as amazing artists in 10 years but for now it's been bugging me.  

a week and a half or so ago i read a book called Art and Fear. it was honestly excellent, and it was so reassuring knowing that other artists go through the same sorts of things with self doubt and comparison and being too damn hard on themselves. i picked back up my supplies, and have been making stuff like mad since. i'm also on winter break right now with basically unlimited free time, giving me a great opportunity to get some real work done.

any thoughts/comments on all of this would be appreciated greatly.

now for what i did yesterday: 

honestly loling at myself for this half abandoned thing. i should not have started with my darkest dark being burnt umber straight from the tube lmao. i guess you learn.

Messages In This Thread
hello all :~) - by christmas.unicorn - 12-23-2016, 09:49 PM
RE: hello all :~) - by Artloader - 12-24-2016, 05:54 AM
RE: hello all :~) - by christmas.unicorn - 12-26-2016, 12:19 AM
RE: hello all :~) - by John - 12-26-2016, 01:38 AM