What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook)
smrrfette - Thanks! You're getting way better too, love your new pencil stuff.

atrenr - Great to be back, thanks man!

Hypnagogic_Haze - Thanks!

rioriorio - Thank you!

JakeB - Thanks dude!

Kaffer - Thanks man!

------------------

So this week a surprise! I don't know how to format one in a format post, so ill keep the suspense short.

First some art stuff, bit less than I planned because ended up actually going into work for a couple days to do some stuff. Also i resolution, i need to do imagination work with pen or pencil. In digital I realized I don't visualize anything, I just do a rough estimate then push it around till i find it looking correct. So need to train my visualization cause its so damn weak, its probably why I'm so slow.

[Image: 0001---Practice20012014_zps1033cf2a.jpg]
[Image: 0002---Practice21012014_zps6532c604.jpg]
[Image: sdfgdfg_zps3ee06a4a.jpg]
[Image: 0003---Practice21012014_zpsc88cb392.jpg]
[Image: ryukyruk3_zpsf4489757.jpg]

Okay here is the surprise...

I made a game! I participated in the Global Game Jam ( http://globalgamejam.org/ )with a highschool friend and his friend, and for 48 hours we made a game. Was a crazy experience, totally drained by the end of it. I only got about 5 hours of sleep over the whole time, but it was totally awesome.

So middle of the week we had a google hangout and did a little pre jam session of about 4 hrs to get a loose idea how we would approach making a game, and how long it would take. So we did a quick exercise remaking the game Samurai Gunn ( http://maxistentialism.com/samuraigunn/ ). So I developed a style I thought might fit making a game that needed to be finished and presentable quickly. I picked pirates because I thought they fit the idea of swords and guns that Samurai Gunn has.

[Image: Poses_zpscd57632f.jpg]
[Image: StyleTest_zps89d9ad4f.jpg]

We didn't manage to produce anything playable, but I know I at least got a handle how i would be designing, animating and painting.

So on game day, we got the theme, which was

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

We had a bunch of ideas, but in the end we decided on doing a smashbrothers type brawler. Basically you would play as this spirit that can jump between animals, and depending on the animal you are, you would have different predators and prey. In the end though, we only managed to do 3 animals, a cat, snake and bird. Turns out I was wrong about the style too, still takes ages to get anything done :(

[Image: press_zps0b5c8ef8.jpg]
[Image: HowToPlayScreen_zpse0ef12a9.jpg]
[Image: CatKeyPosesColor_zps106dd65f.jpg]

Here's a video of us playing the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnzpzIAedEc

So that's that! Now I have a game to my name, no matter how unfinished it is compared to where we wanted, its totally playable. Hopefully we will host somewhere if anyone is interested in playing it. Will defiantly try to be doing more game design and game work like animation in the future, it was crazy fun. Met some great people too, so many great games to try out at the end of it.

Next week will probably be less exciting, but there we go. Actually going to learn some programming on the side to just to be able to have such a useful skill for games, I started a while ago, but it was only like a couple hours a week. Gonna try to do a couple hours a day, see where it takes me. As always thanks for looking.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt today (Sketchbook) - by KyleScary - 04-27-2012, 02:15 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by stace - 07-16-2012, 08:25 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by FOERVRAENGD - 07-23-2012, 10:30 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by DanilleG - 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by kevin - 09-12-2012, 12:38 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by deerandfox - 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by Fännek - 10-22-2012, 10:27 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by Fei Ou - 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by kaikaisushi - 04-16-2013, 02:25 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by Brawk - 07-12-2013, 03:57 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by ImSkeptical - 01-28-2014, 02:00 AM