MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again
(03-05-2018, 11:37 AM)darktiste Wrote: Here what i propose you do to think of when doing study like those first of you want to have the composition right so that you can have a better grip of the porportion of the subject

Fist check the image and visually separate the background from the character into 2 shape those are the 2 main form 
split the image into 4 cadran.

Next step find the 3 really simple form that would best encapsulate the outline of the subject.If you can try to simplify using straight angle and or big curvy line.

Find shadow mass that can help you connect and capture the space between shape.

Try to use area where light and shadow meet to create more shape

Before this stage you don't need to blocking any grey just work in outline using line.

Alway find the angle of the nose to find the angle of the head in relation to the body.

You can than use that angle to construct the feature of the face as a center line

One you have establish enought you can than start to think in term of value working light than gradually working to push the contrast into the darker grey

Try to think in term of 3 to 5 grey tone alway tell yourself is this a strong dark or is this a zone that is receiving alot of light

Adjust the value as you go checking to never go darker than the image alway go lighter at first but finish with strong dark

This process is manly use do what is call value study but it will also help gain better proportion and understanding of composition
Alright I gave it a try in the next few portraits but, I can't help but feel like I failed to actually pull it off.

Still working on portraits. My shading is still pretty bad. Proportions need a ton of work. The faces ended up looking flat and skewed which I really detest.

SOURCE
[Image: rbgnjMF.jpg]

[Image: Lincoln_-_Small.jpg]
[Image: Lincoln_1.jpg]

[Image: WXVO2DR.jpg]

[Image: 0570_-_Small.jpg]
[Image: 0570_-_1.jpg]
[Image: 0570_-_2.jpg]

[Image: N6EGCDL.jpg]

[Image: 0686_-_small.jpg]
[Image: 0686_-_1.jpg]

[Image: 7x0TIlq.jpg]

[Image: 0985_-_small.jpg]
[Image: 0985_-_1.jpg]
[Image: 0985_-_2.jpg]

[Image: ciCvb4d.jpg]

[Image: 0224_-_small.jpg]
[Image: 0224_-_1.jpg]

On a small note, I'm having trouble having fun with things...
[Image: Alley.jpg]
I feel like I don't have the required skill to pull off whatever I'm attemtping. I start to think that maybe I should contiune studies instead of trying my own projects.
This drawing turned out poorly. I tried to create a semi - realistic looking alleyway at night (using reference) with a portal in back being the object that was projecting light. There is no indication the thing is back is a portal so it really doesn't look good at all.

Messages In This Thread
RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - by MagneticScrolls - 03-19-2018, 07:06 AM