MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again
(12-14-2018, 03:13 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: Doing heads well, even from reference requires a lot of complex stacked skills and knowledge to work in concert. It would be more beneficial to go back to more basic and easier challenge first and build up. While some of your finals are certainly improving and you are capturing likeness better you still seem to be spinning your wheels on the same thing over and over.

In the discord or perhaps some other times people have recommended observational studies of bargue drawings, cast studies, skull studies, studies of the asaro head, and ofc even more drawing basic primitive objects in various perspectives but it seems you ignored that advice or aren't posting them.

Question: do you measure angles and linear relationships at all when drawing from reference? Comparative measurement is very useful to be able to check whether you are nailing the same angles and proportions of all the various features/landmarks. Dorien Iten explained a bit about this fairly simply but it may require more explanation...do you use it in any of these studies?

I have been studying at an atelier of sorts recently and found this guy who is or was a Watts student. Their process for portraits is rigorous and strong so i am learning a new appreciation for having a process and sticking to it as well as not being lazy with my measuring.  He has some videos that show in real-time this process perhaps not all with full explanation but it may be useful for you to watch. This vid is him doing loomis studies https://youtu.be/FnTbqPIkuX0 and he has some on constructive features but also the 20 minute head layins combine the entire Reilly method of head drawing and should be informative to watch. He also explains what he is doing for many of them though it's not specifically a lecture type channel. This is not in lieu of also going back to more basic exercises as mentioned before
I wanted to focus in something that I feel I'm lacking in so I chose portraits. Unfortunately I haven't gotten that much better. It just frustrates me that it takes me so long to produce such poor (and inaccurate) results.

I have been working on Burt Dodson's Keys to drawing between portaits but, yes I should probably get on the other things (primitive objects, asaro heads,casts and skulls). I suppose I need stop with tunnel vision.

Yes, I attempt to measure angles and even draw over my source image before working on construction. It seems that I exaggerate these angles. Everything I draw ends up having faces or heads tilting too far or not far enough. Maybe I'm not seeing what Dorien is doing. I'll go back over his videos again.

Bradwynn is pretty accurate with his loomis heads; I really need to take a long look at that video and see how to properly do this myself.

For the next few weeks I'll try going back to primitive objects in perspective. I have a few boxes (plus tons of books) sitting around I can set up. They would just be standard rectilinear shapes. Nothing too complex.
The Asaro heads will also be a priority.

These first few are exercises from keys to drawing...

[Image: Keys-1a.jpg]
[Image: Keys-1b.jpg]
[Image: Keys-1c.jpg]
[Image: Keys-1d.jpg]
[Image: Keys-2a.jpg]
[Image: Keys-2b.jpg]
[Image: Keys-2c.jpg]
[Image: Keys-2d.jpg]
[Image: Keys-2e.jpg]
[Image: Keys-2f.jpg]
[Image: Keys-2g.jpg]
[Image: Keys-2h.jpg]
[Image: Keys-2I.jpg]
[Image: Keys-3a.jpg]
[Image: Keys-3a-Mem.jpg]
[Image: Keys-3b.jpg]
[Image: Keys-3c.jpg]
[Image: Keys-3d.jpg]
[Image: Keys-4a.jpg]
[Image: Keys-5a.jpg]
[Image: Keys-5b.jpg]
[Image: Keys-5c.jpg]
[Image: Keys-5d.jpg]

[Image: FBB-0.jpg]
[Image: FBB-1.jpg]
[Image: FBB-2.jpg]

[Image: LCP-0.jpg]
[Image: LCP-1.jpg]
[Image: LCP-2.jpg]

[Image: Close-0.jpg]
[Image: Close-1.jpg]
[Image: Close-2.jpg]

[Image: 8dbcek-0.jpg]
[Image: 8dbcek-1.jpg]
[Image: 8dbcek-2.jpg]

[Image: 6gs-0.jpg]
[Image: 6gs-1.jpg]
[Image: 6gs-2.jpg]

[Image: 5d6-b-0.jpg]
[Image: 5d6-b-1.jpg]
[Image: 5d6-b-2.jpg]

[Image: 4dgo-0.jpg]
[Image: 4dgo-1.jpg]
[Image: 4dgo-2.jpg]

[Image: 3DP-0.jpg]
[Image: 3DP-1.jpg]
[Image: 3DP-2.jpg]

[Image: 7ce5f-o-0.jpg]
[Image: 7ce5f-o-1.jpg]
[Image: 7ce5f-o-2.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - by MagneticScrolls - 01-02-2019, 03:43 PM