DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery
(05-18-2018, 12:46 AM)Fedodika Wrote: Did some quick edge work on it, fixed the way the eyes are looking, blended and softened a lot of stuff. Asian type women (IMO) have smooth bright skin and having a reflective nose just makes the skin look oily. It may work better on darker ethnic types. A good tip for the eye lay in is to remember the upper lid casts a shadow, and lay in a blob for the pupil with a super soft brush and sculpt it in like the side of a pencil.

Also never indicate eyelashes like that, it looks like a doll, when you see someones eyelashes they all blur together in clumps and you can see the individual strands, go for a soft edge on that. The chin was also jutting out really far, try to make a womans face rounder if you can, as ive drawn lots of caricatures of women and they never react well when i give them a long chin or jawline, even if they actually have that!

Whoa, I'm blown away. Thanks so much for taking the time to not only fix the painting, but to give me an in-depth critique. Honestly, your fix looks so much better... wtf.  I'm glad you pointed these details out. I definitely knew something was up, but couldn't really pinpoint it well. I'll work on capturing the softness much better (and avoiding the jutting chin and doll eyes LOL). You included a lot of great tips. Thank you so much, Fedodika!!

Please don't hesitate to point out any obvious mistakes like this if you see them again! <3

Messages In This Thread
RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - by DESQUOLOR - 05-18-2018, 07:47 AM