Swol Goal
Hey all-

Dan here. a while back i started the deathline challenge with a major goal of losing 100 lbs. as some of you remember, i only got down about 35 despite my efforts. while that wasnt the worst, it was still a far cry from where i needed to be.

Ive always been overweight, but since college and the sedentary lifestyle of freelance for the 2 years after it, im easily at my unhealthiest ever.

and im carrying over 300 lbs of useless on me.

ive tried every diet fad in the world and was on atkins for over a year. i lost a ton, but it all came back as soon as i went off. the only thing ive ever done thats worked is a daily, strict gym regiment combined with diet.

so here i am, ready to do that again. this lifestyle can literally ruin you if you let it. the stress of work, the irregular sleep, the lack of exercise and the (for me at least) consumption of convenient food vs healthy food. it has to stop now. ill be starting asap and updating as i go. its a long process, but we can get it done.
Hey Dan,
From someone that has lost over 70 pounds, here's a little advice. At 300, you can drop really quick, the problem of course is the fear of it coming back. I dropped 14 pounds my first 2 week, from 240. There's really a basic solution, weight loss is a science. Burn more than you eat. By cutting calories and eating maybe half of what you typically do, you're half way there. On top of that, 30 minutes to an hour of exercise every day will keep you at a caloric deficit. If you can maintain this it becomes easy, especially when you have an intense daily work routine.
Fad diets are a bust. Eat clean and whole foods, while eliminating processed junk. Without knowing your current diet it's difficult to give specific advice, but you may have to ease into cutting everything shitty out completely.
Good luck man, if you can dedicate yourself to this as much as your work you'll be where you want to be.

Hey Dan,

I helped my best friend who was in quite the same case as you are and I'd say that the most important thing will be a very strict and organized diet with regular efforts.

To burn efficiently calories you first have to only eat during breakfast, lunch and then dinner, knowing that you have to always eat clean food. For quantity it's better for you to eat the less you can during dinner (used to eat only a fruit during some period) because your body won't eliminate during your sleep.

About the exercises you can do, you ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT RUN, why? Because it's going to ruin your knees, you have to lose some weight first, the best exercises that you could do in the gym could be bike and rowing machine or walk on the treadmill...

I apologies for my terrible english (France -_-" ) and I tell you Good luck, and remember, you will need an Iron Will to win against yourself !

To add onto what Izzual said you should try to be at be eating at a 200-500 cal deficit, counting your calories will help with calculating this, that's if you don't do that already. :)

The guys have outlined the most important things already.
Eat less calories than you burn and be active throughout the day.
Good luck with your progress.
Great advice so far.
Just thought I'd add my two cents in regards to exercise.

A good motivator to keep active is to find an sport you enjoy doing. It's easy to get un-motivated, especially when you start reaching your goal weight and the weightloss gets slower.
Personally I love to run and horseride. And I constantly try to push how far I can go, which means I have to incorporate workouts which I don't like as much, like swimming, squats and lunges(ugh!) but I will do them because it means I can do the stuff I like better - if that makes sense.
It means the body gets a good mix of workouts and you get a sense of accomplishment everytime you get better at your sport.
I think it will help with the diet side too.
But anyways, goodluck!
just so everyone knows-

the routine the weight and wellness labs at tufts medical had me on consisted of about 2500-2700 calories a day (my whatever its called was like 3400 or something insane). combined with a daily swimming regimen to get my cardio in without stress to my body and then weights 3 to 5 times a week, slowly ramping up as i go.

the foods my diet consisted of were fairly loose, but had a huge emphasis on healthy meats, fruits, and vegetables. (tons of chicken and tons of fiber). limited dairy was also a factor- lots of yogurt but not much butter or cheese. carbs were limited to small amounts of whole grain bread, baked regular and sweet potatoes, and occasional whole grain snack crackers with something like cottage cheese or fruit.

i was to eat 3 meals a day with 2 large snacks in between.

so thats what i was doing before, and what i plan on doing again. with that plan i lost about 35 lbs in around 6-7 months.
(03-10-2013, 04:29 AM)Dan Warren Wrote: just so everyone knows-

the routine the weight and wellness labs at tufts medical had me on consisted of about 2500-2700 calories a day (my whatever its called was like 3400 or something insane). combined with a daily swimming regimen to get my cardio in without stress to my body and then weights 3 to 5 times a week, slowly ramping up as i go.

the foods my diet consisted of were fairly loose, but had a huge emphasis on healthy meats, fruits, and vegetables. (tons of chicken and tons of fiber). limited dairy was also a factor- lots of yogurt but not much butter or cheese. carbs were limited to small amounts of whole grain bread, baked regular and sweet potatoes, and occasional whole grain snack crackers with something like cottage cheese or fruit.

i was to eat 3 meals a day with 2 large snacks in between.

so thats what i was doing before, and what i plan on doing again. with that plan i lost about 35 lbs in around 6-7 months.
Dan, out of curiosity how much water do you drink a day? Also that word you're looking for is caloric maintenance.

i drink over 2 gallons of water a day haha.
VERY GOOD

You break my record, now I break you — like I break your friend
[Image: tumblr_ljbi7msZKa1qdha9bo1_500.jpg]
(03-10-2013, 02:22 PM)Dan Warren Wrote: i drink over 2 gallons of water a day haha.

haha wow, well make it cold water if it's not already, your body will burn more calories bringing the waters temperature down.

You can do it Dan!!!!

Sketchbook

I missed my work out but it worked out
phew...workouts start this week. here we go.
ok so-- seein a physical therapist now about my foot. but ive cut calories down to 1500 a day eating mostly chicken and veggies. my sleep schedule isnt regulated yet, but im making sure to sleep 8 hours when i do. startin slower than id like, but im makin sure things happen!
(04-12-2013, 01:33 PM)Dan Warren Wrote: ok so-- seein a physical therapist now about my foot. but ive cut calories down to 1500 a day eating mostly chicken and veggies. my sleep schedule isnt regulated yet, but im making sure to sleep 8 hours when i do. startin slower than id like, but im makin sure things happen!

Hey Dan,
how is the weight loss going? Hope you on the track mate. If you ever get the chance to watch this documentary, freakin do it! http://www.movie2k.to/Fat-Sick-Nearly-De...30699.html . It blew my mind mate and after watching it I started doing some research on micro nutrients and our food culture. And some of it is far off. It almost feels like they would tell you to it 6 times daily to get the economy growing again but between 3 meals and several "snacks" that either never have seen a potato or been bathing in freakin oil, won't be much space left for anything else. And a view veggies, over cooked and pre-made won't help there.

That diet even started curing diseases rofl. Just needed to provide the body with the tools to cure itself. Please watch it

Peace
hello! good luck on reaching all your goals, here's something that may help you out,
www.leangains.com
Even if you don't believe/choose to follow the intermittent fasting diet thing, the page has tons of useful information on nutrition and training that you may find interesting
And never give up! saludos desde México xD
(05-20-2013, 11:23 PM)MitchMiller Wrote:
(04-12-2013, 01:33 PM)Dan Warren Wrote: ok so-- seein a physical therapist now about my foot. but ive cut calories down to 1500 a day eating mostly chicken and veggies. my sleep schedule isnt regulated yet, but im making sure to sleep 8 hours when i do. startin slower than id like, but im makin sure things happen!

Hey Dan,
how is the weight loss going? Hope you on the track mate. If you ever get the chance to watch this documentary, freakin do it! http://www.movie4k.to/Fat-Sick-Nearly-Dead-watch-movie-930699.html . It blew my mind mate and after watching it I started doing some research on micro nutrients and our food culture. And some of it is far off. It almost feels like they would tell you to it 6 times daily to get the economy growing again but between 3 meals and several "snacks" that either never have seen a potato or been bathing in freakin oil, won't be much space left for anything else. And a view veggies, over cooked and pre-made won't help there.

That diet even started curing diseases rofl. Just needed to provide the body with the tools to cure itself. Please watch it

Peace

That link is not working ..anyways i found it on another website..the documentary is really eye opener for me.