Gliger's Sketchbook
Every post you do seems to be pushing further and further, so that's awesome. And JEEZ that facial anatomy study post! YES! More of that please?

Okay... on painting with texture brushes: It's best to block out everything completely (in my opinion) with a hard round, then find some interesting brushes that you like, or create your own.
My brush set
One of the better tutorials on how to create a good brush.

Either method work really, but yeah... so you block in the forms completely, then using a texture brush you pick one of these two things. Either use the texture to pull your eye away from your focal point, or use the texture brush to push your eye towards the focal point. This way you can get a good variance of not only line, but texture as well. And then just to make things even more interesting, just before you finalize the piece, slap some texture on a new layer above everything else and maybe try playing with the opacity.
Regardless though, I would for sure keep practicing your basics first, there are some wonks that I see in terms of the anatomy. But you're definitely getting there.
Just keep plugging away and you'll get it!
I'll try to crit as often as I can. :)

LE SKETCHYBOOK ~ BLOGGY
There is usually more on my blog...

GIVE A CRIT, GET A CRIT!
Thanks for the answers, seriously, they were really useful.
OK, big deal, I'm going to set a goal, it has to be accomplished before next year, so I have about a month and a half. I know people usually set goals when the year starts but to hell with it, I don't wanna wait.

I'm gonna start and finish an A3 240 pages sketchbook.

-80 pages of design studies (creatures, characters etc., includes specific animal studies).
-80 pages of life drawing/anatomy studies/still life (includes the life figure drawing place I just joined, zoo, museums, and just stuff from life)
-80 pages of drawing from imagination (anatomy studies and such from imagination don't count, just creative stuff, I need to force this because not long ago I found out it turned really hard to do).

I'll keep doing digital too, portraits, paintings, fleshed out designs etc. and studies of course.

When the year starts I want to have improved greatly in these things.

-Values
-Overall rendering and growing closer to a more "personal" style of painting, I know it'll come naturally, but I want to get an overall idea of what I like to do and what I don't.
-Creature design, and overall design (characters, clothes, a bit of product design) but specially creatures.
-Portraits
-Dynamism, so gesture drawings, animation studies, moving stuff studies basically.
-Feeling of weight of my characters/creatures, I feel like it's something not many people are good at, I'm not talking about making a body that feels like it sits in space, but about the pressure, so I'll be studying folds, how pressure affects skin and muscle, how ground is affected etc. making solid stuff.
-Quality of my line work, so line weight, loosing stiffness etc.
-Being able to represent stuff with just lines, that means, learning how to simplify fur, feathers, leaves etc. to make them quick and good looking with just line.
-My visualization skills, those are no joke, since I started I've been trying to work on them every day, when I go to sleep, before I draw a character, it's just that... being able to imagine a full character is super badass ok?
-Animal poses, how they look when they are asleep, when they are angry, when they are alert, hunting, killing etc.
-And the MOST IMPORTANT... HAVING FUN, learning to have fun with my sketchbook again, playing with ideas, learning how to get into that "creative happy mode".

I must say, I'm not joining any painting course or anything like that, this is just me, personal stuff, it's kind of a trial to see if I'll need any online courses in the future. And... these are not just one and a half month goals, they are the stuff I want to focus on for the rest of my journey, I just want to start now.

Also, keep working out 1 hour/day, eating healthy, going to museums more often, and giving me 30-60 min for myself everyday just to thing about ideas, lying on the couch with music and visualizing. Also, this is probably too much but I don't care, I would like to have and idea for a cool personal project, it's something I've been thinking really hard about since I finished 'Gravity Falls'.

I'm writing this down because that way it'll push me more.
[Image: galadriel.png]

[Image: creature_sketches.png]

I'll be updating this sketchbook less often until I finish the traditional one, and then I'll do a massive update with the 240 A3 photographed pages. I've got 23 down, many more to go.
[Image: 40s_character.png]

[Image: still_life.png]

The mug is from about a week ago, the other was done between last night and this morning.
I'm trying to upload some stuff because I don't want to abandon this post until I finish the sketchbook.
I've done more digital stuff but it just looks baaaad, or really unfinished.
I really like the handle reflection on that cup! That's a detail I seldom see in art.

[Image: 33lo2og.png]

Charmander btw

[Image: 15pswmq.png]

[Image: 2uzs16s.png]

Already finished the sketchbook, I think I improved a lot.
[Image: 15wcw8x.png]

A couple hours, the first hour was just the sketch and 45 minutes of painting random stuff without knowing what to do, then I figured how to work and such, I think I go though this process every time I paint something.

Btw I'm still just discovering the power of the almighty round brush, it's just too good.
WIP

[Image: symud2.png]
Still trying to figure out a process for painting.

Any tips for this specific piece?
[Image: 6gx5br.png]

Gotta work on that beak.
I think I should give it more contrast...

That skull up there is a huge push forward. I would actually suggest to try and use every stroke you lay down to mean something.
What I mean is... look back to the old masters and see how they used every stroke. Sargent instantly comes to mind, but there are many others that were even before that. If you really zoom in and look at the way they applied their paint, you'd notice that they use broad, long strokes. I know this is hard to achieve with a stylus, but it would serve you well I think to try it out.
Post 26 and on are starting to head toward the right direction.
I would also suggest to continue painting with just the round for a bit to really get in there and learn how painting works. Don't stress out at the moment about finalized pieces, just try and get used to the tools.

LE SKETCHYBOOK ~ BLOGGY

GIVE A CRIT, GET A CRIT!
[Image: 20st010.png]

Thanks for the comment, yeah, yesterday at AJ's stream I realized how to make every brushtroke useful, and how important it is to do so. I'm also starting to look more at the lighting in real life objects when I'm not painting, It'll take me a while to see results, right now it looks like something that could be extremely useful or completely useless, we'll see.
I hope I'm not the only one who thinks I've improved immensely since I started this sketchbook almost 2 months ago, everything from the first page looks really really bad to me, and most of the second. I think I've improved specially in visual library and design.

Let's see how much I can improve during these holidays.

EDIT...

Aaaand it looks like shit, really, the pride only lasted for like half and hour, that's ridiculous.

Today has been kind of a more relaxed day, instead of drawing so much, I cut 2 hours and dedicate them to read james gurney and watch a couple of tutorials, it's useful to do this every one in a while, anyway, there are still 4 hours in the day, I could still add some hours.

[Image: 16m96di.png]

Some light studies from imagination on a creature, a patrick plush I have, tried to understand that kind of surface, could be useful for fur, and a simplified flashlight study.

The lizard is from yesterday, or the day before yesterday, idk.

[Image: e0k32p.png]

Some studies and a creature sketch.
Both studies are ''unfinished''.
The shoe study is unfinished because I find it impossible to work with really dark values, idk if it's because of my screen, or 'cause of my photoshop version but when I'm working on close to black values sometimes my brushstrokes don't show or they look like a smudge of black paint etc. I've been reading Gurney, the form and value pages, learning light is super fun.
The other one, I learned what I wanted to learn so I stopped.

[Image: 2exbjhf.png] there you go, some bread and bust studies, and some sketches

After some traditional human and animal face muscle studies, and staring at a dog's face muscles for over an hour, I did some face rendering studies, and took the sketch a little further, didn't think much about light, tried to see if there was a mechanical way to get decent results, experimenting...

[Image: 105cvud.png]
[Image: 2qi6bf4.png]

I'd love to do a gig or something, I need to get Scott Robertson's new book, and a couple of artbooks, but I'm not even close to the level needed to get a job am I?

[Image: 98dhyo.png]

As i said, I'm trying to spend more time just looking at stuff and breaking down light and form in my brain, so, there are not going to be many updates, that said, there is also stuff I'm not going to upload besides the traditional as always.

[Image: femloh.png]

Little concept from a couple of hours ago, fun stuff.

IMPORTANT, tell me something that I really need to improve please, so that I can focus on it for the next few days. Besides light.

I would focus on stroke economy and focal points.

http://ctrlpaint.com/blog/stroke-economy
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/how-to-c...oints.html

The character above lacks any real HARD brush work. I would suggest as a way to improve, to search artists that you really enjoy that use heavy brushwork (for example, John Larriva, John Singer Sargent, Rob Rey are just a couple that pop out in my head right out. This list is far from inclusive, and it was just to name a very small few). Really look at the pieces that they put out, try and do copies of them, or at least look at the way they apply their strokes.

Secondly, start to look at images of the things you want to paint and either copy them or use the direct reference in your pieces. Like for example, this bird creature that you worked on earlier, try and search a bird that is very similar and either copy it right out a few times, or use the techniques that I described above and exaggerate the original to suit what you need.

Either way, I think you're on the right path, just keep on pushing.

LE SKETCHYBOOK ~ BLOGGY

GIVE A CRIT, GET A CRIT!
Thanks, I tried to improve what you said.

[Image: 2npniv.png]

[Image: 2r4qt1w.png]

I wanted to use some gaussian blur to help with the focus, but since my computer is not working properly, I couldn't do it, man, I think it could really improve the image... dammit...

I would suggest to not worry as much about blur filters at the moment and really only use those on background elements or things that you would not want to mess up.
Try instead to make your brush do the talking for now. Let filters be off limits until you learn proper brush control, which even from the last post you've made great stride.
Just keep this up for a bit and see where it takes you. Also, I highly suggest to continue on just doing greyscale studies for the moment so that you can see the value instead of the colors.
Just keep this up! :) It's already looking much better!

LE SKETCHYBOOK ~ BLOGGY

GIVE A CRIT, GET A CRIT!