Vornag's Happy-Go-Funtime Turbo Ultra Resurrected Hopefully Trainwreck
Hey, I like the color studies in post #38, #39! You seem to be on the right path here, my only two advices is to work on some values and to do some anatomy studies. Do some master studies in black and white, it will definitely up your game with the values! And a good way to study the anatomy of the face is to do skulls, it will make you understand the form and the measurements a bit better! :)

Thanks for dropping by, Echo. Took up your idea and did some skulls.

From imagination. I don't like how it came out, but I realized my mistakes and will make sure not to repeat them in the future.
Skulls looks awesome! Mind the measurements tough, keep it up :)

The images aligning was a happy accident to some degree, but I should definitely keep the proportions in mind. Didn't really notice it until you pointed it out, thanks

Who's up for some silhouettes? I am.

Scream at what I'm doing wrong in my sketchbook
it helps a lot
I'm up for silhouettes! :D For me that is the hardest thing to do - creating many shapes, designs, and thumbnails!

Focus.
Those silhouettes look good. When it comes to the skull studies, I think you should focus more on drawing rather than trying to paint it. I see this all the time, people focusing on painting before they can draw well and I'll try and explain why this is a bad idea.

Drawing is always the foundation of any painting and if the foundation is off, what you build on top of it will also be off. It also makes it harder to learn. You need to handle paint at the same time you are trying to draw accurately. Don't learn how to juggle at the same time you're trying to ride a unicycle. Separate these things and study them individually. You can make an accurate drawing and paint on top of it but doing them at the same time is a very bad idea if you are a beginner. Later when accurate drawing has become instinctive, direct painting can be done in an effective manner.

This is why at ateliers you don't get to touch paint until 1-2 years into the program. You are first forced to master drawing to a very high degree so you can then focus on learning how to paint without simultaneously having to learn how to draw.

I'm not saying to stop painting completely but rather consider the best approach to learn something. If you want to learn about values, have a very accurate drawing prepared so you can focus exclusively on values. If you want to learn anatomy, bringing values into the mix is unnecessary.

Anyway, keep on working! :)

Discord - JetJaguar#8954
Thanks for stopping by Meat and Tristan.

My focus is definitely lacking in a single field. I tend to jump around all too much and take little away from what I actually create. This entire time I'd been drawing with absolute resentment to color and painting in general because I wasn't good at it, since I never practiced it. I wanted to rectify that and, while it's grown on me, I should go back to drawing.

but right now i'm really not feeling it

it helps a lot
aw yis

it helps a lot
They're made of bone, man. Bone.

it helps a lot

it helps a lot
Those silhouettes and creature designs look fantastic.I miss doing silhouettes. I will have to try drawing them digitally. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Zandra

I'm really slacking as of late. Need to step it up.

it helps a lot
Oooh, you have some really nice character designs going here.

Since you mentioned updating daily feeling like a chore: Just do what works for you, in terms of what makes you stay motivated, and what doesn’t feel too bothersome. No use in burning yourself out over something like updating the sketchbook - just don’t drop it completely :)

Also agree with -echo-, I think you could profit from some skull and face studies - not just understanding the bone structure, but also that the face (head) can be simplified into planes. Google for „planes of the head“ or michael hapton’s way of simplifying the head, or the reilly method. Any of these can work and it’ll make drawing heads so much easier :)

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
Thanks for the advice, Lyraina.

It wasn't just updating the sketchbook but rather yet art in general. I'm borderline bipolar when it comes to productivity and that just wasn't my day.

I've actually gone over the planes of the face but it just refused to stick to my mind. Arrogance got to me and I thought that I actually understood the subject matter when in truth I was barely scratching the surface.

but i think i'm slowly starting to get it guys

slowly.

it helps a lot

it helps a lot
If you're going for a more realistic style for your heads, the proportions are still a little off. The method that worked for me learning heads was Proko's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeEf1U

It's basically the Loomis method, but I think Proko did an excellent job at describing it. I'd recommend watching all his videos on the head, and draw at least fifty of the very basic shape of the head without any features.

Good stuff, though, keep going. Try to forgive yourself for the days where you can't draw. I have bad mental health days, too, and I think the best thing is to be kind to yourself when they come. Skipping a day of drawing isn't going to be the end of the world, and you'll bounce back.

Thanks for your input, Chinchilla.

I personally don't enjoy drawing realistically and like to put my own spin onto things, prefering to focus on energy (and I eat shit at that but hey it's the thought that counts), which is pretty arrogant coming from a beginner. My heads are still definitely lacking and I'll continue to expand on them. I do want to draw them realistically simply to get a firm sense of their structure, but I'm torn between personal preference and accuracy.

Been super unproductive today because the weather is literally and metaphorically killing me, so have a shitty wip castle and a Windrunner I drew in yesterday's drawpile.

it helps a lot
Alright. Well.

Between The International and Rising Thunder I didn't spend a lot of time drawing today, so have some Drawpile.

it helps a lot
I think you're kind of forgetting the perspective when you're drawing soft surfaces... Never stop thinking of it! Even make the grids if necessary!

I really like your silhouettes btw

I put way too little attention to perspective, yeah. It's a personal sin that I need to work out.

Keep's coming along very, very slowly. I never realized how unproductive heat made me until now.

it helps a lot