IllustratorQuest
Hey folks. I'm going to put the 'gamification improves productivity' theory to the test. I created a simple game system for my art study and portfolio production, and I'm going to post the rules and record my progress through the levels here.

You can definitely join in if you want to (in fact I'd love some friendly competition) although the system is tailored towards my own goals (create a fantasy illustration portfolio) and my own weaknesses (repetitive subject matter, difficulty finishing paintings due to tendency to noodle about and be too much of a perfectionist ass).

IllustratorQuest

Aims:

-         Create a fantasy illustration portfolio.
-         Portfolio should be stylistically and generically consistent, but show a range of subjects and situations within the fantasy genre.
-         [It MUST NOT be 10 pictures which can all be summarised as either ‘woman stands next to animal’ or ‘here is a woman’s face’]
-         Improve art quality by studying.

Rules:

-         Any action that results in progress towards building a good portfolio gains XP.
-         Gaining XP allows you to progress through levels.
-         Start each level with 0 XP unless you have extra XP from the last level. (e.g. you needed 50 XP to progress from the last level, but gained 100 XP for an action, giving you a 50 XP head start on the next level).
-         To progress to the next level, you must also complete the appropriate boss fight. Boss fights do not reward XP.
-         You will gain extra XP for paintings which include a subject matter which is not yet represented in your portfolio (see list)
-         You will gain extra XP for ‘storytelling elements’ which support the narrative of your illustration (see list).
-         To level up, post a breakdown of your XP gains for that level and a jpg of your boss fight in the thread.
-         Give yourself a reward when you level up! [read a new fantasy novel]
-         For the purposes of IllustratorQuest, ‘any painting’ refers to any finished piece of art which is not a study– a portrait, a character concept, an illustration, whatever. ‘An illustration’ refers to a painting which uses one of more of the ‘storytelling elements’ to depict a specific narrative. It shows at least one character, in an appropriate setting, and they are interacting with their environment, other characters, a prop, or any combination of these.
-         ‘Finish’ means exactly that – you can win a boss fight that says ‘finish any painting’ by starting from scratch OR by completing a WIP. Doesn’t matter how complete the WIP was, finishing it earns the XP.
-         If an action or boss fight requires you to study/paint for [x] hours, it doesn’t have to be completed in one session. 4 x 15 minutes to make up an hour is fine.

Base XP:

-         Finish an illustration – 1000 XP
-         Finish any painting that’s not an illustration – 500 XP
-         Study for an hour – 100 XP
-         Create 20 new thumbnails – 100 XP
-         Post work online for crits and feedback – 10 XP

‘Not yet in portfolio’ Bonus XP:

Give yourself an extra 100 XP if you use one of these elements in a finished painting and you didn’t already have it in your portfolio:

Man – Woman – Child – Indoor Setting – Outdoor Setting – Horse – Dragon – Orc/Monster – Anthropomorphic creature – Magic – Landscape

For example, if you finish a painting that includes a man, an outdoor setting, and a dragon, and none of those things are in your portfolio already – add 300 XP to the base XP gain!

‘Storytelling elements’ Bonus XP:

The storytelling bonuses only apply to illustrations.
+ 50 XP for implied interaction between two characters (e.g. looking at each other)
+ 100 XP for actual character interaction (e.g. fighting, kissing, chasing), each extra character, clear character motive (the viewer can tell exactly what the character wants), clear character history (the past, profession or class of the character are obvious), and each prop which supports the story (magical artifact, weapon).
+ 500 XP if your illustration has a dual narrative – ie, characters in the foreground are interacting in one way, and characters in the background are showing something else happening in the scene.

Levels:

Level One: 1,000 XP           Boss Fight: Finish any painting
Level Two: 2,000 XP            Boss Fight: Study for 5 hours
Level Three: 3,000 XP         Boss Fight: Study 25 thumbs, then create 25 of your own.
Level Four: 4,000 XP           Boss Fight: Finish any painting
Level Five: 5,000 XP            Boss Fight: Finish an illustration
Level Six: 6,000 XP               Boss Fight: Study for 10 hours
Level Seven: 7,000 XP         Boss Fight: Finish any two paintings
Level Eight: 8,000 XP           Boss Fight: Study 50 thumbs, then create 50 of your own.
Level Nine: 9,000 XP            Boss Fight: Finish an illustration
Level Ten: 10,000 XP            Boss Fight: Finish two illustrations

-   Sketchbook   -   IllustratorQuest   -    
Level One Progress

Experience: 1000/1000 

+ 500 XP [Finish any painting: 'Wyra'] 
+ 200 XP [Not yet in portfolio - 'Woman' and 'Outdoor Setting'] Counting 'Wyra' as first piece of new portfolio.
+ 300 XP [3 hours studying horses]

Boss Fight (Finish any painting): 

LEVEL COMPLETE

Love the idea, I'm going to be stealing this. Not that I'll end up with a usable portfolio, but I should end up with some finished images at least, which would be a start...

I'm not sure I understand your rules though, does the Boss fight have to be done after you gained the XP for leveling up (or else why doesn't finishing Wyra count as a completed boss fight above)?

(04-10-2017, 10:41 PM)Olooriel Wrote: Love the idea, I'm going to be stealing this. Not that I'll end up with a usable portfolio, but I should end up with some finished images at least, which would be a start...

I'm not sure I understand your rules though, does the Boss fight have to be done after you gained the XP for leveling up (or else why doesn't finishing Wyra count as a completed boss fight above)?

Awesome, yeah, steal away!

First you have to gain the XP, and then when you've got the full amount of XP, you complete a boss fight. The boss fight doesn't give you any XP. It's like the gateway to the next level. 

So, you can't get both XP and a boss fight from one painting. Either you're still gathering XP and it counts towards that, or you've got the XP so you're doing it as a boss fight.

Hope that clarifies a little bit? Feel free to adjust the system for your own purposes, anyway.

Thanks, yes, that clarifies it! I suspected that it would be something like this, but I wanted to be sure... for the most part, your system should work really well for my purposes :)

Level Two Progress

Experience: 400/2000 

+ 100 XP [Create 20 new thumbs]
+ 300 XP [Study 3 hours - figures & expressions]

Boss Fight (study for 5 hours): Not completed.