oranges_ sketchbook
hello all!  
my name is oranges!  i've been lurking here for a while, afraid to post my own works because i think they are below the skill threshold of the userbase.   but!  i've worked up the confidence to give it a shot!  so here we are.

i am an artist in training under David Brewster.  my current long-term goal is to apply to art school in January, and major in illustration or fine arts.  i'm hoping that, by using this forum i can improve my talents and work ethic through peer review.  

i'm going to start my sketchbook by dumping some recent-ish art, though what i can post is limited because i have been working mostly in oil, and do not have a way to take photographs of those pieces.  whenever that option becomes available, i will probably vomit the backlogged images in a grand rush.  

lately, i have been slacking on practicing fundamentals, instead opting for comfort-zoney work on my comic.  a short term goal is to break back into those studies, and try to fill up my current sketchbook by the end of the month. 

(as a last note, i would like to acknowledge that i have some seriously bad habits as an artist, and generally tend to make the same mistakes repeatedly.  if you see any flaws in my art, please call me out on them!  i am desperate for critique!)

Attached Files Image(s)

absolutely gorgeous work. it's good to be humble, but no need to be shy around here! we need more awesome work like yours. :) don't sell yourself short.

loving your work!

(08-23-2019, 06:01 PM)DESQUOLOR Wrote: absolutely gorgeous work. it's good to be humble, but no need to be shy around here! we need more awesome work like yours. :) don't sell yourself short.

loving your work!

thank you for the kind words!!
Nice start here Oranges :).

Your grey portrait is very nicely painted, good proportions values and structure.

I also love your painting of the girl in the oriental custome - very nice colours and values.

It is interesting that you work both traditionally and digitally. Which do you prefer?

Nothing constructive from me sorry - just keep plugging away - maybe do some line drawings as well if you want to focus on fundamentals?

All the best!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(08-23-2019, 11:58 PM)Artloader Wrote: Nice start here Oranges :).

Your grey portrait is very nicely painted, good proportions values and structure.

I also love your painting of the girl in the oriental custome - very nice colours and values.

It is interesting that you work both traditionally and digitally.  Which do you prefer?

Nothing constructive from me sorry - just keep plugging away - maybe do some line drawings as well if you want to focus on fundamentals?

All the best!

thank you for the comments!!  the painting of the person in the kimono isn't quite done, but i thought it wouldn't hurt to throw it in with finished work.  

as for traditional v. digital, i think i honestly prefer traditional right now.  the physical interaction of working with the paints, mixing colors, stretching and priming your canvas, the industrial reek of turpentine.. it's a comforting atmosphere.  

speaking of line drawings, here are some poor-quality scans from my sketchbook (and one of my favorite paintings, which slipped the last batch because it was too big (。ヘ°)  )

Attached Files Image(s)

have been picking away at this for a few days - feeling mostly good about how it's coming along, barring a few areas i've neglected to fix or develop.  i especially think that the lightning-bolt in the bottom panel needs to be redrawn.. it doesn't quite look the way i imagined it. 

gonna try and tackle another panel or two tomorrow!

Attached Files Image(s)

so friggin cute. digging this oekaki style.