Hristov Trials
Hey there! Decided to start a new SB exploring what I'm really interested at.. which is illustration and character design.
For years I kind of put it on a side, since I treated it as the "desert" / saving it for last in order to  become a well rounded artist .... But in reality was delaying something I always loved for doing stuff I don't really enjoy, was a very stupid decision.

So yeah.. here I go, I'm practicing anatomy and drawing, hopefully soon I would have a illustration portfolio and start freelancing again.

First illustration bellow is still work in progress, the rest is just studies I've done last month.
[Image: aFOXGHJ.jpg]
[Image: WX1b836.jpg]
[Image: seoSgxj.jpg]
[Image: 1NvR0yi.jpg]
[Image: ouPmsnY.jpg]
[Image: As927jT.jpg]
[Image: jl5j6Tp.jpg]
[Image: LeP7EDi.jpg]
[Image: Wcp1rQv.jpg]
[Image: eKur9yp.jpg]

My posts :>  ->

Sketchbook
Hey buddy! It is an honor to be among the first to write in your new sketchbook! Welcome back to the community!

I think it's great to hear that you have found your calling among illustration and art. It's important that we spend time studying and focusing on what we really love, since that is what we will be working on for hopefully, the long term.

Your studies are looking really good! The anatomy drawings you have made are very clear and easy to understand. But I wonder, are they all from reference or did you ensure that you also applied your studies from your imagination or to your personal artwork? That is IMO one of the most important parts so that we can see how much we really absorbed from the study and where more practice is needed.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing this sketchbook grow!  Thumbs_up

holy shit this is really nice ! Love the action in the first illustration with the dogs, you can feel the movement. What were you doing instead of illustration before ?

(02-12-2021, 04:37 AM)Zorrentos Wrote: Hey buddy! It is an honor to be among the first to write in your new sketchbook! Welcome back to the community!

I think it's great to hear that you have found your calling among illustration and art. It's important that we spend time studying and focusing on what we really love, since that is what we will be working on for hopefully, the long term.

Your studies are looking really good! The anatomy drawings you have made are very clear and easy to understand. But I wonder, are they all from reference or did you ensure that you also applied your studies from your imagination or to your personal artwork? That is IMO one of the most important parts so that we can see how much we really absorbed from the study and where more practice is needed.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing this sketchbook grow!  Thumbs_up

Hey dude , thanks for the kind words ! Coming from you, it really means a lot ! Yes, the anatomy studies are from reference, actually they are from Proko's anatomy class. I do try to apply what I learned into personal work, but I still use reference since the reference itself gives you reminders if you missed something - a tendon, a bump , rythms, etc.

I do try to do fast sketches from imagination in order to remember how something looks, but its not the main priority at the moment, because I feel like if you do it too much and you learned something wrong, then you would need even more time to erase the wrong approach, then invest time to learn how to do it. While with reference you constantly remind yourself what to look for, until you start to feel you don't need reference anymore, but i feel that takes years of practicing.

(02-12-2021, 07:26 AM)Skeffin Wrote: holy shit this is really nice ! Love the action in the first illustration with the dogs, you can feel the movement. What were you doing instead of illustration before ?
Thanks a ton!  I was doing hard surface and environment concept art - modeling in blender, using photo-bashing etc. for movies and games, also worked as a matte painter for movies. But after a while I realized that constantly learning new software, new techniques (basically trying to catch up with the constantly chaining industry standards) made me really unhappy.  I get that  this is the future, that it is great , that many people love doing it,I still kind of do, but personally for me this is not what I "signed up for" . I love painting and drawing and I feel that should have been my priority all along. I definitely love learning new software and pipelines, but I realized my priority lies elsewhere.

Sketchbook
Looks like you are good at illustration already to me. The lighting and feeling of movement in that WIP is really nice. I hope you'll get plenty of opportunities to focus on what you love doing.
Look at this freeeaaaaak bitch hopping on hereeeeeeeeeee. sup boi. : DDDDDDDD : XXXXXXXXX

Nice sb man, want to see more !

Thanks for the kind words ! Here are more studies from Proko's course. Not happy how they turned out ,but I cant waste more time, instead ill plan to do as many as I can. [Image: ouPmsnY.jpg]

Sketchbook
The latest studies are looking really great! The sense of solidity and line weight comes through really well!

Yeah I agree, I really like the solidity. The overlaps really help communicate it.

Hey dude - really great to see you posting again and I loved your post about why artists quit - thanks for reaching back and helping :).

Also - your anatomy studies are awesome - I really like the aged paper and brown pencil thing going on there - are they digital or traditional?

Looking forward to more :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

@Zorrentos -  Thank you !
JosephCow - Thank you !

Artloader - Thanks! Its  nice to hear that, because I was anxious if I should make that threat in the first place, since I didn't knew how it was going to be interpreted.

The sketches  are completely digital. I just add a ton of noise and Bleach_Bypass LUTs so it feels like somebody took a picture of their sketch with a shitty camera hahaha The reason I make them this way is that recently I'm thinking a lot about finding ways to make even a uninteresting, shitty study -  as presentable as possible and to have some charm(if possible) . I'm not saying I achieved that, but it's just an exercise I  try to do on top of my morning studies.

[Image: jl5j6Tp.jpg]

Sketchbook
Man, these last few sketches are amazing! Are they all from reference or did you do any from imagination to test your skills as well?

I love the idea of achieving a traditional look on them! It turns an ordinary study into a true piece of art! Great for posting on social media and such!

Thanks again Dennis ! I try to do very fast diagrams where the muscles and bones are connecting and what their shapes are or like very vast sketches of how to break anatomy with simple forms, like how artist's like Davin Finch do it. But I'll stay away from doing whole bodies and poses from imagination. It sounds stupid, but  my whole idea is that when I make study from reference it feels like a design challenge, where I have to find good shapes , rythms etc.. and not just eyeball it. If I don't do crazy amounts of those type of studies and start drawing from imagination , i feel like I'm going to use bad shapes to represent the body. This creates a whole new nightmare where you get comfortable with those bad shapes and this creates more confusion and problems.  So far the idea is to work and design the body from reference and also study how other artist's solved some of the problems, until I get a good visual library of what works , what doesn't and why. Otherwise I feel  I'll be compensating my lack of knowledge with my imagination of how something might look and work, which kind of is shooting in the dark and develops bad habits in your visual library.

I might be wrong , but I'm thanking my chances hah

Sketchbook
Done this with pencil and only added toned paper behind, I think the result might be better, than drawing digitally.

[Image: As927jT.jpg]

Sketchbook
Quote:The sketches  are completely digital. I just add a ton of noise and Bleach_Bypass LUTs so it feels like somebody took a picture of their sketch with a shitty camera hahaha The reason I make them this way is that recently I'm thinking a lot about finding ways to make even a uninteresting, shitty study -  as presentable as possible and to have some charm(if possible) . I'm not saying I achieved that, but it's just an exercise I  try to do on top of my morning studies.

Yeah you absolutely did achieve that!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

WoW man the first illustration is amazing!!! Can’t wait to see more like this. 
Great anatomy studies, I like that toned paper look.

Keep up the great work
Dude those back studies are *chefs kiss*. I really dig the shapes you use in your anatomy studies, and it's inspiring me to play around and think about shapes more with my own anatomy.

I have to agree with the traditional drawing having a better result than digital. Mainly I think it lies in the strokes you've used to indicate shadow. It feels a lot more natural and organic in the post above, whereas in the digital drawings it reads a lot more rigid and harsh (though it seems you place the marks a lot more form fitting in the traditional image too). Both results are good, but I personally lean towards the more subtle shadows

Loving your art man :)

Sketchbook // Insta

And though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea
Thanks a lot !! That is really motivating to hear since idk, I'm in this mode where I'm transitioning into what I really want to do and its a constant battle of self-doubt haha. :)

[Image: LeP7EDi.jpg]

Sketchbook
welcome back man, looking good ^^

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453