What
Joseph : Yeah totally, being in the scene allows you so many more experiences that can inform the drawing or painting due to the slightly changing nature of reality and probably the biggest which is the way our eyes work that aren't anything like the way a camera captures a scene.
But yeah it is not easy to simplify all that information well, definitely takes practice.
Only having limited time for exercises does come with some benefits. One tends to get quicker and simplify more, focus on the basics and do more with less, but yeah I do need to work on longer things.

Doing a 3 hour head rendering class with charcoals.
This is yesterday's effort. I think I prefer vine and compressed charcoal for overall aesthetic and feel, this one is mainly with wolf carbon pencil and compressed sticks.

More drawlins from loife

Attached Files Image(s)

Selfie

Looking great! Have you ever checked out Nathan Fowkes courses on portrait drawing by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz7Mr23Z...=BobbyChiu

Thanks Dennis. I've read his book. I don't think I'd bother doing an online class with him if there was one. His manner of speech puts me to sleep and grates on me in annoying ways and I think the book was informative enough about his technique imo. I do try using some of his specific process from time to time though coincidentally I have been thinking about doing a more blatant aping of his process in the next class tomorrow.

A quick ish head while hanging out at the Atelier.

Attached Files Image(s)

Fair enough! I like Nathan myself, but he does go off on tangents in some of his classes. I feel like he could condense down some of his classes by half if he refrained from telling anecdotes and such.

That's a cool portrait! Is it supposed to be Mark Twain?

Love the last portrait!
I really like this, totally up to my personal preferences. Do you sell any of these? If so, could you contact me via pm with a price? What dimension are those?

How many hours do you practice daily?
(03-19-2021, 05:15 PM)Zorrentos Wrote: Fair enough! I like Nathan myself, but he does go off on tangents in some of his classes. I feel like he could condense down some of his classes by half if he refrained from telling anecdotes and such.

That's a cool portrait! Is it supposed to be Mark Twain?

Yeah and the slightly condescending toned waffle is strong in that one, I feel like I'm being talked to like a child when I listen to him lol. Pro tip, if listening to him on video, play at 1.5x. Thank me later.
Yep it's a mark twain photo ref. 

(03-19-2021, 09:18 PM)Zyntic_Max Wrote: Love the last portrait!

Thanks! 

(03-19-2021, 10:37 PM)Zizka Wrote: I really like this, totally up to my personal preferences. Do you sell any of these? If so, could you contact me via pm with a price? What dimension are those?

How many hours do you practice daily?
Thank you so much! I haven't as yet put much of anything up for sale. I have sold a couple of paintings locally and one or two for sending overseas. I'm in new zealand.
I guess pm me with which you like and I'll see if it's feasible to get something to you! 
Paintings range from 5x7 at smallest to maybe 16x24 inch
Drawings all depend, but a lot of the studies are A2 size Newsprint or cartridge paper. Toned paper drawings are on Canson paper a bit bigger than A2. 

I don't draw daily. Sometimes I don't draw weekly. In the last two years I probably have done no more than 12 to 18 hours a week max on the weeks I even do any practice. Focusing on or hammering excessive hours seems to be more important for people in the desperate/passionate beginner phase it seems! I did my share of that in the past but that's not my jam now. 

OK so, last day of this head drawing class. 
Bunch of 10 up to 20 min sketches. I tried to focus on putting in the darkest dark shapes first, which tended to also be where the hardest edges were, and then adding the midtones and really focusing on  edges to make the form read 3d, and then erasing out the highlights. Also tried focusing more on the general impression than any detail. I have to say that approach seemed pretty successful to me. The best drawings were the ones going diagonally from top left down to the right and those were the ones I really focused on that approach. They were also the shorter drawings. The longer ones where I wasn't really focused on that approach, turned out much less clear and even missed the likeness of the model. Definitely something I'm going to try keep this in mind more.

And also did a longer effort white charcoal thing. Was great to try white on black at this larger scale, usually I do them much smaller. The results I'll take but definitely much to improve on

From life

(I emailed you and pmd you but never got a reply. Just saying in case you didn’t get my messages).
Thursday is my drawing day it seems. From life. Various times, 2m 20m, 1 hour figures and a 3ish hour head.

[attachment=121549]

From life

I have been lucky enough to become the keymaster to the Atelier where I learned most of the trad stuff ive been doing.  I started running a weekly portrait session this year. 
Popped in a couple of pics of the sesh last night.