Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: mactire's sketchbook! - now with end of year atelier stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Nice steady improvement here. It'd be cool to see some of your more loose character ideas rendered up a little more into finished things, specifically the bagface sketch and some of the dudes from the post before that. Keep it up!
Pierce: Thanks man!

just dropping these off:

[Image: Untitled-1.jpg]

[Image: fcf.jpg]

[Image: archer.jpg]
Some legs from Hampton's book and quick still lives from today, gave up because I was getting distracted by how quick the sun was moving (i.e. how quick the shadow shapes were changing), another portrait study and a random character to this description from characterdriven: evil, nice, Shape-shifter (Spell-caster), Who may or may not be a: Elf :

[Image: legwork.jpg]
[Image: stills4.jpg]
[Image: jvl.jpg]
[Image: randomchar.jpg]
Quick still-life and photostudy, and random character sketch:

[Image: still5.jpg]

[Image: hgkv.jpg]

[Image: randomchars2.jpg]
Made a start at another Repin study, and here's another random character from today; brawny, cruel, Queen (Empress), Who may or may not be a: Viking (in retrospect I could have pushed the design a lot more):

[Image: repininiinininininninnininininmodest.jpg]

[Image: randomchar3.jpg]
Worked up the Repin a bit more, to try push it further would be mostly an insane amount of very subtle colour and saturation tweaks. I'm still getting the hang of percieving the correct colour, more often than not here each time I selected a colour the colour I was aiming for was more saturated. Ah well, that will come in time I suppose, all a matter of learning.

Here's another sketchy B+W random char from the characterdriven generator, coincidentally, a viking again. The description went filthy, jolly, mentor, viking, and yes, I know horned helmets are wrong, but they are fun to draw!

[Image: repininiinininininninnininininmodest.jpg]

[Image: randomchar4.jpg]
Loads of nice stuff comin out recently! Keep it up with those construction studies, they look great.
lookin good man, like that your pushing your studies
Dennis: Thanks! Yeah those were really helpful, need to get back doing them!

James: Thanks man!

Sketches from today, some sort of chrome bot/alien, and some sketches of colossal mechanical knights:

[Image: chrom.jpg]

[Image: medmechsketches.jpg]
cool life studies and hampton studies
I like those mechanical robot sketches, would be cool to see the idea explored further.
Miles: Thanks man!

Jonesoda: Thanks Jones! Ask and you shall recieve...

Inspired by the scale within some of the pieces Karl Kopinski produced for Warhammer 40k, I thought I'd have a rather ambitious go at making something out of those mechanical knight sketches from the previous post, so included is how it looks so far, just trying to block things in at the moment. Also included are some studies I thought would help:

[Image: siege+colossi.jpg]

[Image: ob.jpg]

[Image: ls.jpg]
That top one in your last post is epic man.

Love those loose sketches up there of the knights as well. Kinda wanna see the one the bottom right taken somewhere. Looks really cool.
Man, tell me you're going to finish those awesome Siege Knights. Looking really epic!
Dennis & Ostavia: Thanks guys!

Progress, currently fighting atmospheric perspective and keeping the elements to their own planes:

[Image: siege+colossi+1.jpg]
Just when I was getting motivated (especially about finishing that siege colossi piece), I fell ill. It's drained all energy and motivation, but I did manage to get a few bits and pieces done.

The spheres were just an exercise to try and familiarisse myself with certain material textures at a closer level, in particular metals. So, they're trying to represent; stained metal, polished metal (although it's a bit too mirror-like for what I wanted), matte grey paint, rusted metal (not rusted enough though), metallic blue paint (like that on a car) and flesh for good measure.

[Image: material+spheres.jpg]
[Image: material+spheres1.jpg]

[Image: reblnlnl.jpg]

[Image: elf+silhouettes.jpg]
Very good silhouettes man. Siege Colossi piece comin out sweet as well.
Dennis: Thanks Dennis!

Another robodog (obvious Aaron Beck influence) and some messy enviro sketches for fun experiments (crazy Dutch tilt happening in the second, gonna have to tilt you head to the left to make sense of it!).

(and yes, I'm hoping to finish the mechanical knight piece soon - had to take a break due to a brief recon trip to London)

[Image: robodog.jpg]

[Image: env+sketches.jpg]
Oh man hadn't seen those knight mechs painting until now, look's cool as hell, Silhouettes you got there look sweet to. Keep it up, stuff is lookin good man.
Your stuff is coming along nicely man, i like that viking queen you did and also that knight siege illustration. Your obviously doing something right, because your stuff is getting beter and beter. Keep it up!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5