Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: mactire's sketchbook! - now with end of year atelier stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Love the Aaron Beck's dog. Can't wait to see it finished!
Thanks Jones, Warburton and BrotherOstavia !

Here's some stuff (mostly studies) done since the last update, including some Bargues done in anticipation of starting at LARA in just over a week:

[Image: bargue1.jpg]
[Image: bargue2.jpg]
[Image: env+studies.jpg]
[Image: kgvklbj.jpg]
[Image: ubvubuvu.jpg]
[Image: mech+thumbs.jpg]
[Image: env.jpg]
[Image: assasssketch.jpg]
I really like those mech thumbnails. I think the first of the last row is my favourite one.
Lovely environment studies.
Great studies, focusing on the main point.
And your skies (sky?) are pretty good !
BrotherOstavia: Thanks Brother! Same for me, that and the tank.

SteFlack: Thanks man!

Fincks: Thanks Fincks!

More enviro fun from today, a couple of quick studies and a sketch from imagination with the obligatory improbably standing stone... could do with a bit more contrast though..

[Image: quick.jpg]
[Image: ivy.jpg]
wow I'm impressed by your studies.
Didn't saw your SB yet and only saw your mech livestreams.
Keep up the good work!
Warre: Thanks! Think you're confusing me with BrotherOstavia? Though I will be starting to stream soon and probably will do a mech stream myself.

WoofyDesigns: Thanks!

Some more quick studies and a quick sketch, need to start doing longer ones to actually start getting stuff out of them:

[Image: quick2.jpg]
[Image: orbs.jpg]
Wow, cool studies and awesome concept with the floating earth ball thingos, only crit is that I cant really tell what the balls are made out of, whether its rock, or they are also grass covered, or marble.. Other than that, awesome sketchbook you have going here!
Indeed I was, sorry for that :)
But yeah, start streaming :)
Jaik: Thanks! I see what you mean, should really have made an effort to assign them a material.

Warre: Thanks! No problem, I might even start some time this week.

Ok, so I've moved to London and started at LARA. Here's my efforts from week one; the first being the very faint current stage of how far I've got in the first two week pose, and the block-in of my first cast. Also included is a knight who's a bit worse for wear, just blocked in colour so far, hoping to really push this one.

[Image: fig.jpg]
[Image: cast.jpg]
[Image: undead+paladin2.jpg]
Here's the finished image (but still open to any points anyone has to make):

[Image: undead+paladin.jpg]
The only thing I have to say is wouldn't there be a little bit of blood around the arrows in the armor? I haven't actually paid much attention to arrow wounds so I could be wrong. Small nickpick aside, looks great man!
hey mactire,
i am really impressed by some of the studies, how long do you work on the environment studies?
it seems like you know how to draw. maybe try some studies of things you are not so good at, to push yourself out of your comfort zone. other than that i have no critics, keep it up.

Cheers,
Flo
Nice sketchbook! I'm glad to see you do so many environments. Maybe you would like to take part in the environment challenge I hosted this week on the forum?
atrenr: Ha! You're dead right! Seems I forgot about that somehow.

Flo: Thanks! The enviros were probably about 1-2 hours? Can't quite remember now. But yes, some non comfort zone material is long overdue!

Piotr: Thanks man! I seem to have missed that one, though I'll definitely keep an eye out for those in future.

Finished a 40 hour pose today at LARA. Quite happy with the results given that it's the first rendered (well, rendered to a recogniseable level) long pose I've completed. Also, here's an armoured Celt I've been working on over the last few nights:

[Image: seb.jpg]

[Image: celt.jpg]
Hey mactire!

I think You have good skills in enviroment. But not everytime You show it, like You want to finish some work fast and it gives bad result.
Whatever You've done in works with that mountain lighten up by sun - do it more!

And maybe I have some feedback for that one piece with horse. Can You define the head of the horse more? Right side of the picture looks too blurry. I think You need to put more details and definition to it.
Mannequin: Thanks! Though I'm not entirely sure which image you're referring to. As for the horse, I chose to leave it a little blurry (and looking back I now think the reins may be too crisp) in order to prevent the eye from being distracted from the rider who is the focal point.

Here's an image I did for the enviro challenge following Piotr's suggestion:
[Image: ice+cathedral.jpg]
Update following a crit from Kingkostas on CA and some suggestions from tutors at LARA:

[Image: celt.jpg]
Somehow forgot to update since the end of my first term at LARA.Thoroughly enjoying it so far and constantly learning there. I even managed to get my a cast drawing onto their website! Anyway, here's the work produced in term 1, plus a refined version of that undead chap following some crits and advice:

[Image: cb+beethoven.jpg]
[Image: lena.jpg]
[Image: firstcast.jpg]
[Image: sebastian.jpg]
[Image: luther.jpg]
[Image: undead+paladin6.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5