Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: yan's sketchpad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

gen5

hey guys, 23 years old guy from singapore
am totally looking to get better in my digital art.

more critques!
be harsh!
Good start man! :) My critique is basically study anatomy right now. There's a reason a critique like that is vague and the reason is that it's constantly true. Everyone can always use some more anatomy/lighting/color studies. These are the three most important and always in need of studying things in art as a whole. Software and gadgets come second. Have fun doing what you love man! Cheers! :)

gen5

@ othrandir; i lol'ed at the reply haha,
yeah i'm using loomis's and hogarth's materials. will post it up when i do scan it in

1 rock study form yesterday.
actually are there like any site that simplify lighting terminologies?

gen5

went out today and did these

oh yesh, forgot to mention;
my line work is slightly different when i work on people and buildings,
i use wiggly lines for hard surface stuff, in case if anyone is wondering haha

gen5

studying mountains again!
decided to slap a hot air balloon in

might decide to make it proper scene though :sleepy:

gen5

was doodling hands in my sketchbook (didn't scan x.x)and doing some lighting studies

reference'ed from james gurney's poster

gen5

quick wip!
TDKR was an awesome movie.

failed metal study..:s

gen5

argh! values really torture me

ref'ed a colour image and painted it in black and white instead
Hi, just keep at it and you'll get to a pro level soon enough :D

"actually are there like any site that simplify lighting terminologies?"

I don't really know what you mean by this, but in my experience practicing lighting on basic shapes (cubes, spheres, cylinders, cones) will help ones understanding of lighting really much.

Get some of these and rig up stilllife's and draw / paint from them, a really nice excersise.

This site: The Reilly Papers has notes on planes and values, 2 things that are really important in lighting. All of it is really worth reading and studying :)

Hope it helps! Cheers!

gen5

@bag
oh yeah, i did build a small rig
small bulb run by AA batteries lol, haven't totally tried it out fully yet

thanks!

gen5

hey all,
just 2 watercolour pieces from a local area
and ipad face sketches
Some interesting watercolors of the local area. For the faces I would set up the planes a little more before you jump into the colors. You did a little so far on the guy but make sure you plot them out a little more carefully. Here is an Example of what I'm talking about when I say "planes". Keep workin!

gen5

studies!
Good stuff. Just continue what you're doing. And you will become hero we deserve.

gen5

some sci fi stuff from yesterday and poses from today

poses ref'ed from scott eaton's awesome site with motion photography
www.scott-eaton.com/category/bodies-in-motion

gen5

small dump,
c and c appreciated!:blush:

gen5

ipad plein air? :D
done with procreate and sensu brush!

will be uploading a small dump of stuff slightly later
Hey nice work so far! I would suggest working hard on your basics a bit more. Spend lots of time drawing and studying the figure. Try work on line quality and draw from life in pencil and pen. Its good to practice painting but try concentrate on getting good at drawing 1st, then learn about light and then go onto colour. These arent rules set in stone obviously :) but I found that no amount of good looking rendering will save a bad drawing!

gen5

hey kidult , thanks for the tips!

last piece for today, just compiling some screencap studies
worked directly in colour but i constantly check the values in black and white

but meh, the top picture is kinda messy lol

gen5

random update, prolly posting more tmr :blush:
Pages: 1 2