Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Rocktave's Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Rocktave

Hey all,

So one of my goals for this year is to refocus back on the fundamentals of drawing and painting. I'm a 3D Artist / Animator for Cartoon Network and want to strengthen my fundamental artistic ability after developing my animation for so long. Been keeping an eye on Dave's work and Crimson Daggers for a while, and now this forum is coming up at a perfect time. Figured I'd jump on board.

Here's what I've been up to lately:

WIP of a friend's webcomic character
[Image: Valkin6.jpg]

Wood Duck study
[Image: WoodDuck_study.jpg]

Business Troll
[Image: troll_matt.jpg]

Voldemort Speed Painting
[Image: Voldemort_digital.jpg]

I'll post more studies as I do them. Much to learn!

Rocktave

Here's my first study for the next Challenge. I found this pic on DA and thought it would make for a good study. Still a WIP, obviously.

[Image: Princess_mononoke_study01.jpg]
hey, what up? I had a nice hard look at what you've got going on and I have to say I really like what you're doing with your color work on the imagination pieces. There is a nice balance between warm/cool and saturated/de-saturated color. I think you might want to shift your focus on creating more concrete forms though. Everything tends to feel like it's made out of the same soft material, especially the way light tends to effect everything the same way. The color on the last ref is pretty dead on, but I think you could push the saturation around in some of the areas, specifically the shadows around the neck and arms, and the eyes seems a tad bit high. Anyways, keep pounding away on those studies!

Rocktave

Thanks man, you're dead on. I didn't realize the eyes were too high until just a little while ago. Will definitely fix that, along with the saturation issues you brought up. As for the imagination pieces, you nailed it again. My forms need so much work. I feel like I need a better understanding of how forms catch light, and just practice drawing things from life more. I'm not sure what you mean when you say how light tends to effect everything the same way though, can you point something out specifically? I'm kinda getting back into this again after a long time and want to get better at illustration as a way of boosting my animation. Love how this forum is shaping up. Thanks again for your input man, I really appreciate any advice.

Rocktave

Don't have much time lately to do studies, but I won't spend anymore time on this one.
[Image: Princess_mononoke_study2.jpg]

Another study of a teddy bear my wife got for me for Valentine's.
[Image: tuti_bear_study.jpg]

And another really quick speed paint I did one evening. I might revisit this and spend more time on it.
[Image: matt_m_dungeon_demon.jpg]

Thanks for joining me on my stream earlier tonight :) I hope to see more updates from you so keep posting and let me know when you're going to make a Livestream Channel

Rocktave

More sketch studies. First is a Self Portrait from my reflection in the other monitor.
[Image: M_SP.jpg]

Photo ref, me and my wife. Still working on this one:
[Image: dance_06.jpg]

Bigfoot:
[Image: matt_m_bigfoot2.jpg]