Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Steampunk Portrait Study, Asking for help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mertgenccinar

Hello. I'am currently new in Crimson Daggers. I know I'am very late to be a member of this forum but i hope everythings gonna be okay :) I wanted to share my W.I.P. portrait piece at this step because i need help and different opinions for almost everything. I used referance for portrait but i changed it after decide to do long-faced old engineer. I think it's more characteristic for steampunk atmoshpere.

Also i want add some background (rusty and old pipes, blackboard with some formula written on it or library with some little statues)

C & C allways appreciated :)

Thanks!

[Image: 56258486.jpg]
I'd start by suggesting that you flip your canvas, this will help you to pull out all the anatomy issues on the face. As we're looking at it, I see an issue with the eyelid on the right eye as the shadow turns suddenly into a highlight giving it a weird angle that the other eye doesn't have.

Also, I'd extend the tip of his nose out further as it seems a little flat and we're seeing too much of the far nostril.

But it's looking good so far, loving the light from the window and how it touches the form :)
Just a suggestion, but you could also push the steam punk element further. Right now, if you take his goggles away he is just a old man in a suit with a scarf. I'm not good with steampunk so I don't really have good examples of what to add to give it more flair, but usually when I see the style it seems like being in your face is almost a requirement for it?
This is a extreme example but, you wouldn't call a normal guy on his way to work a warlock because his hands are glowing purple, would you? hope this helps!

Damage

Hi there Mert,

Nice work you have there.

Maybe call up some reference images . I typed this into google images "steam punk men dress". This is what came up - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=steamp...04&bih=631

How about softening up the lenses a little bit. Maybe some dropshadow cast from the hair strand over the right lense?

Funk up his beard and tache a little?

Moooarrrrrr metal and rust.

Hope this helps a little.

Take care.

Damage o/

mertgenccinar

Hey guys, thanks for precious advices. I'll work on that :)

@Laura_H: Thanks Laura, i know i must start to use Flip Canvas, hope it will be done ^^ Yeah, the right eye has some issues with shading and proper anatomy. I'll fix that with nostril :) My intention was giving a cool lighting out of window and touches shoulder area and a part of his face. I'am glad you like it!

@Atrenr: Thank you very much :) You're right about that. As i mentioned early, i want to fill background with full of steampunk elements. Also i will add some chainy cogwheel necklace with rusty element and litte pipes perhaps :P

@Damage: Thank you very much Damage, this is very helpful!! I'll look for proper referance within your link :) Indeed, moooaaar metal and rust ^^

Again, thank you guys. I'll upload my next process soon and asking your help again.

Take care O_o

Jager

[Image: paintover-jager.jpg]

Hey mertgenccinar thats a very nice picture. Here are some things I came to think of. I made a little paintover.

-Area of interest. Think of where your area of interest are. It’s his face right? Keep the highest contrast there. Right now in your pic we only see the big window in the background and then the brightly burning goggles. The figure itself gets lost. I would suggest darkening those big bright areas and work up contrast on the face.

-Pure black on skin is a big no-no. Look at the shadows on the sides of his face, mix in a color, any color. And living skin always has color variations in it. For instance the ears and nose tend to look more reddish and chin and cheeks on males are often a bit bluish.

- Render the form. The way you have only rim light on the back of the chair and shoulder makes it look a bit flat, like it’s made of paper. The light is clearly coming from above so it would lighten all upwards turning surfaces like the top of the shoulder.

Entertain the viewer. Big straight lines are a bit boring. Break them up, ad details and texture and give us more things to look at. His goggles are a bit too ordinary at the moment I think.

- Color circulation. When you introduce a new color like in the yellow in the goggles it’s always nice to have the same color echo somewhere else in the composition. It can be anywhere and just a tad. But it tends to make things harmonize and look more unified.
-work form big to small. Don’t get bogged down in small details before you have got the big shapes totally worked out. Stay zoomed way out and work with twice as big brush size as you feel comfortable with now.

-Storytelling. Very important. That’s what makes us drawn to a picture. Why is the guy so sad? Is he being kept prisoner and made to work on a devastating super weapon for an evil villain? Most likely not but that was my thoughts while doing my paintover. I am sure you have a much better idea for your painting. But always think of the story and give the viewer some hints about what’s going on. What are those big lights outside the window?

Once again beautiful paining and keep rocking!

mertgenccinar

Oh my god, thank you so much! Your paintover is very close to my first tought and you did remarkable job when you explain my mistakes. I am absoulty agreed with you. Now i can see clearly what's wrong in my work... I was thinking about to save me from my boring hairs, beards etc... But i didn't find anyway yet, but you show me very clearly there isn't just one way or "true" way.

I am really glad for sharing my pre-work and asking critique. It's very effective for improving skills after more more moaarrr practice :)

Thank you Jager. Your short and brilliant advices give me an another perspective!

I'll work on that and i'll try to catch a more dynamic and realistic result! :)

Jager

Cool mate, glad it was helpful. You got a good start there so it should be fairly easy fixes I think.

(10-20-2012, 03:49 AM)mertgenccinar Wrote: [ -> ]Oh my god, thank you so much! Your paintover is very close to my first tought and you did remarkable job when you explain my mistakes. I am absoulty agreed with you. Now i can see clearly what's wrong in my work... I was thinking about to save me from my boring hairs, beards etc... But i didn't find anyway yet, but you show me very clearly there isn't just one way or "true" way.

I am really glad for sharing my pre-work and asking critique. It's very effective for improving skills after more more moaarrr practice :)

Thank you Jager. Your short and brilliant advices give me an another perspective!

I'll work on that and i'll try to catch a more dynamic and realistic result! :)