Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Hi gang!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whoops i already started posting but didn't introduce myself properly:

My name's Nick Chrissis, i'm 34 years old and from the Netherlands.

Besides my "day-job" wich luckily gives me oodles of free time i'm chasing a lifelong dream to make my own animations and draw my own comics. I've been plugging away at the animation side for a while now but i decided it's time to get serious about my drawing as well!

A couple of weeks ago one of my favourite artists Roger Dean came to my town to give a talk and he talked a lot about his creative process.
One thing that really struck me was when he said that drawing/painting should become as automatic as driving a car, only then can you truly let the inspiration an "visions" flow onto the page. And that to get to that point you need a looot of practice becuase frankly drawing and painting requires a lot more fine motor skills and spacial perception etc. than driving a car!

So after that i decided to treat drawing like working out: try do it every day even when i don't really feel like it. And just like working out once you get going you usually start to enjoy yourslef ;)

I found this forum via facebook and i really like the vibe! Also i hope i can get some honest critisism about the stuff i'm doing wrong.

I'm currently also in a weekly life drawing class - i take one every year - and it really struck me last time that the instructor can walk by and notice big flaws like a nose out of place that somehow you just don't seem to see when you're working on it.

Ok enough of me blithering on, let's go arting about! ;)