Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Suggestions/Critiques Please =]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

zeiram3f

So! I have two pictures that I've recently done, and the subjects within the images are pretty much the same... with a few technical adjustments done on the later image. Anyhow, I'm not quite comfortable with both of them, and something feels off in each. The first feels flat, despite the implied depth. The second feels... cheap? I don't know how to describe it, but I'm curious about what you guys think. Anyhow, see below V

[Image: barking_up_the_wrong_tree_by_zeiram3f-d5irkez.jpg]

[Image: pack_hound_concept_by_zeiram3f-d5jozch.jpg]

So yeah. Mind you, I've only been doing this stuff for about six months... and I know very little so far. Every project has been a learning experience.

Thanks,

CG
Nice one. The creature has a really interesting look =)

I am not that experienced, so not sure my input will help too much, but the creature's right arm (closest one to the viewer) is rather dark. Try lighting it up a bit to make it come closer and emphasize the detail on it.

Should probably make these changes on a new layer though as my advice may not be too accurate.

zeiram3f

Mathias,

Thanks! =]
I'll actually keep that in mind. I suppose there is a slight discontinuity between the values from the closer limb than the others.

Also, upon looking at the top-most picture, I don't know why I created such a dramatic light reflection off of the creatures undersides... it's almost like a primary light source rather than reflected light. So those areas need to be darkened... Hmm... anything else perhaps? =o

CG
You offered me some help on my work, hopefully I can offer you as insightful help as you gave me.

You mentioned that the first one feels flat and I think that is coming down to the atmospheric perspective. I see that you have added some atmospheric perspective in the piece but it seems to reality based. I think if you really push it you will get more depth. Really get value in the trees in the back down and more blue/gray. They should have much less color and much less detail. You can see individual leaves on those trees back there which is asking for too much attention. Once they are pushed further back and the chroma down you attention will come to the beasts. With that said, you are going to have to move to this next part.

I will address this one in a separate paragraphic since it applies to both. One of the biggest reasons these are probably bothering you is the anatomy and mainly in the forearm, biceps, and deltoid areas. You've got good detail going, less saturation which takes you to the beasts heads which is great, but because of the anatomy issues and detail contrasts you are drawn to the arms way too much. The hands, feet, and head are awesome but you need to bring that level of quality in the arms as well. I can understand though, anatomy in the human like arms on a monster can get tricky but I think that will make a lot of difference!

They are pretty strong but I think you can push them!

zeiram3f

(11-09-2012, 08:28 AM)AdamMiconi Wrote: [ -> ]You offered me some help on my work, hopefully I can offer you as insightful help as you gave me.

You mentioned that the first one feels flat and I think that is coming down to the atmospheric perspective. I see that you have added some atmospheric perspective in the piece but it seems to reality based. I think if you really push it you will get more depth. Really get value in the trees in the back down and more blue/gray. They should have much less color and much less detail. You can see individual leaves on those trees back there which is asking for too much attention. Once they are pushed further back and the chroma down you attention will come to the beasts. With that said, you are going to have to move to this next part.

I will address this one in a separate paragraphic since it applies to both. One of the biggest reasons these are probably bothering you is the anatomy and mainly in the forearm, biceps, and deltoid areas. You've got good detail going, less saturation which takes you to the beasts heads which is great, but because of the anatomy issues and detail contrasts you are drawn to the arms way too much. The hands, feet, and head are awesome but you need to bring that level of quality in the arms as well. I can understand though, anatomy in the human like arms on a monster can get tricky but I think that will make a lot of difference!

Hey! Glad to see you dropped in. I'm loving the advice, and honestly you clarified a lot for me. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and leave this images untouched for now, but if I ever do something similar I'll keep what you said in mind. Thanks again!

Oh! Also, I'm about two hours in, and sometime next week I'll have your 'paintover' finished. I don't exactly like it much just yet... but we'll see how it turns out.

CG
(11-09-2012, 11:06 AM)zeiram3f Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-09-2012, 08:28 AM)AdamMiconi Wrote: [ -> ]You offered me some help on my work, hopefully I can offer you as insightful help as you gave me.

Hey! Glad to see you dropped in. I'm loving the advice, and honestly you clarified a lot for me. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and leave this images untouched for now, but if I ever do something similar I'll keep what you said in mind. Thanks again!

Oh! Also, I'm about two hours in, and sometime next week I'll have your 'paintover' finished. I don't exactly like it much just yet... but we'll see how it turns out.

CG

Oh man, now I'm all excited! I can't wait to see them!