Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Taylor's Sketchbook of Patterns and Progress.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
What's going on everyone? [:

I'm here to showcase my studies and works in an effort to forge a path to improvement! I want to be good enough to freelance by the time I graduate college in Summer of 2013.

I have the heart, a humble amount of talent, and the iron will to temper myself to greatness...it's all a matter of putting in the time and implementing the feedback I'm grateful to receive.

I'll start by dumping some photo studies, a still life, and a Sargent study-- plus a plethora of personal pieces.

--Studies--
[Image: study2.jpg]

[Image: study.jpg]

[Image: sargentstudy.jpg]

[Image: study3.jpg]

--Personal--

[Image: light2.jpg]

[Image: mercelinebored3.jpg]

[Image: lucerne_weilder_by_meloncat-d5ie6cp.png]

[Image: a_little_magic_by_meloncat-d5k22up.jpg]

[Image: veinder_by_meloncat-d5izpn7.jpg]

[Image: c__mere_by_meloncat-d5izpij.jpg]

[Image: frankenpipe_by_meloncat-d5izq6e.jpg]

I guess that's it! more studies coming soon. One or two Sargents and another master I've yet to decide-- I really enjoy those.
Studying with almost every spare minute I can muster!

Sargent & Bouguereau. These two are incredibly inspiring to me for different reasons, but I did a study of each. I obviously can't hold a candle to the abilities of either, but I'll continue to improve in hopes of ascertaining that level of proficiency!

Oh, and a random piece with mushroom dudes.

I plan on doing some landscape studies next batch-- followed up by some figure-based concept art and a landscape from memory.

Thanks for looking c:
What's up my daggers? c:

Here's a plethora of stuff I've managed to pump out between my last post and the one I'm currently writing!

I'll be honest, I haven't done any landscape studies...No real excuses for that fact either. I just have to cultivate some zeal for fleshing out pieces that don't revolve around figures.

But without further ado, studies and sketches! oh, some paintings too.

most of my refs come from posemaniacs or deviantart stock in case anyone's wondering.
New Environment studies! about 1.5-2 hours each. Feels good to really get going on and artistic facet of mine that I know needs significant improvement. I'll do one from memory today to further solidify what I've been learning.

Critique encouraged! Thanks for looking.
i really like your guys in armor, the study of the oldman is pretty good too.
Thanks a lot, Eduardo :exclamation:.

Here's some stuff done in my abscence from this sketchbook. I haven't scanned my traditional stuff, which has been piling up, so here's some digital update actionnnn.

Gonna do some less refined studies to understand things like faces, hands, feet, etc better. I feel like volume is going to help my more than polish right now, so you'll probably see tons of looseness in next post.

Thanks for looking :V!

Every still life but the post it and flash drive were done at mah boy, Archreuxs' house.
(insert witty and self-deprecating comment regarding not updating this sketchbook in a while here.)

Some freshness! I don't feel the need to re-upload all the stuff I've been putting in my CA sketchbook, but with the debacle that's been circulating regarding their ethics and treatment of artists-- I've decided to become a full-time dagger.

So yeah, hit me with overall crit if you would. after these next two hectic weeks (finals and reviews and such) I'll be outputting a lot more studies and personal paintings. I just can't wait to graduate.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1701592&d=1359668427]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1701595&d=1359668432][Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1701594&d=1359668430][Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1701596&d=1359668433]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1701609&stc=1&d=1359668649][Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1723969&d=1361485413]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1723970&d=1361485415]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1723971&d=1361485416]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1723972&d=1361485417]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1723973&d=1361485420]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1723980&d=1361485559]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1723989&d=1361486013]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1723990&d=1361486014]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1726247&d=1361686017]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1726248&d=1361686018]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1726285&d=1361688719]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1726283&d=1361688717][Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1726290&d=1361688723][Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1730771&d=1362028455][Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1730774&d=1362028459][Image: 556682_10200669532598500_1348908828_n.jpg]
12 day break from college.

Time for some studies!

I'm leaning towards lots of still-lifes and lighting/value studies as far as painting goes for this break...give or take a couple master studies.

I really want to work on my gestures, poses, anatomy, and warmer color palettes too.

But for now, here's two studies and a the finished version of a personal WIP. Scanning some sketchbook stuff later tonight hopefully.
hahaha.
Yesterday stuff.

Gonna be working on the new Crimson Bloodsports today, so expect another update!

Feels so good to be on break.
The girl portrait is a WIP.
I really think the griffin study came out great, the colors, and everything about it are really nice. Try to get your next few pieces closer to that level of cleanliness and polish, really. I think you're on a good track. Can't wait to see what you do with this snake woman.
Archreux: Thanks man! I actually used rgb selector for the griffin's colors as opposed to HSV, so that's new territory for me. I'll keep pushing my polish though, I know how important a cohesively rendered image is-- whether it's loose or tight.

Just dropping my study sheet for the bloodsports for now-- Gonna see if I can pick back up on the snake girl tonight.

[Image: 9O6kCnz.jpg]
I really like how you're balancing imagination and studies. Wish I could manage as well.
Keep it up
Nice sketchbook! Some of the textures look a little strange like they've been warped on, but nice body of work so far, good balance of studies and personal stuff. The sloth warrior looks really really cool. I considered doing a sloth but you're doing it way better justice lol
Ha, thanks Pnate! I love sloths, I'm sure your rendition would be sick.

TomSeas: Thanks you! I used to have trouble doing only things from imagination, but with a good study ratio one improves at a much better rate.

I've definitely got some texture work to do. I usually end up painting and then warping on my textures, so perhaps it's time to just hunker down and paint them in perspective.

Anyway, here are my finals for the 14th bloodsports! as well as a 3hr speedpaint I did on my new macbook Pro.

Been falling behind in the study category lately-- failed at a still life that I need to set back up and there needs to be a SLEW of landscape & lighting studies...

I did paint one of my school's hallways on my GF's laptop on Tuesday, but that didn't turn out so hot.

No excuses, I've just gotta log more hours into environments and cohesive lighting scenarios.
Long time no see, everybody ;).

I've been interning as a graphic artist at Fantasy Flight Games in order to graduate from my school.

I am immensely pleased that my long and artistically cumbersome academic journey is coming to an end...

I still study as much as life permits me to do so. With all the extra time post graduation I can just focus on personal pieces for my freelance portfolio, and a myriad of studies to ameliorate some of my weak points.

Anyway, here are some studies and personal pieces:
Quick winterhalter study and an even quicker cloth/value study.

Oh, a cloth study too.

Not super pleased with the winterhalter one, but then again comparing one's work to the masters is always humbling. I think I'm going to do some more fundamental face/anatomy/lighting/edge studies this coming weekend.
hey dude, your dedication is great ! one thing i'd say that hited me is not a matter of skills, but more in a matter of concentration/ understanding of what you do ! you must try to be fully concentrated, and think about what you see before putting any stroke, and especially for this one http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...?aid=17802 which lacks of volume and edges control ! i suggest you to read alla prima, from richard schmid, as well as creative illustration from loomis, the best 2 books i ever read and reread ! concerning your creative stuff , i find your compositions kinda lacks of direction, i don't understand where you're trying to lead us, check out some composition rules that can help you, also do tons of thumbnails, it's gonna help ! And i always finish my posts by telling that you must draw a lot dude ! until your hands bleed ! it's so much important, but most peoples spend their time painting instead of drawing, which would actually make painting easier too ..... anyway, keep it uuuuup dude !!
(05-03-2013, 06:38 AM)kikindaface Wrote: [ -> ]hey dude, your dedication is great ! one thing i'd say that hited me is not a matter of skills, but more in a matter of concentration/ understanding of what you do ! you must try to be fully concentrated, and think about what you see before putting any stroke, and especially for this one http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...?aid=17802 which lacks of volume and edges control ! i suggest you to read alla prima, from richard schmid, as well as creative illustration from loomis, the best 2 books i ever read and reread ! concerning your creative stuff , i find your compositions kinda lacks of direction, i don't understand where you're trying to lead us, check out some composition rules that can help you, also do tons of thumbnails, it's gonna help ! And i always finish my posts by telling that you must draw a lot dude ! until your hands bleed ! it's so much important, but most peoples spend their time painting instead of drawing, which would actually make painting easier too ..... anyway, keep it uuuuup dude !!

Thanks for the critique-- pretty overwhelming, but that's probably because I'm lacking deeply in many fundamental areas and am combating depression as I type this.

Concentration is key, I agree...But it's best used in conjunction with building a mental library and pure rote practice. These factors must intermix if one is to create illustrious and vivid works. A beginner with all the concentration in the world still lacks the neural connections that someone who's been drawing for years can deploy. "Skill" is Myelin-- a natural substance that wraps itself around neurons to increase the speed that that the body and the brain can communicate. This alacrity is key to everything we do, including creative endeavors.

I've read alla prima, but I had a hard time absorbing it. I'll give it another read.

As for the Loomis book, I'll give that a shot too.

Concerning composition: I only recently have been able to delve deeper into compositional keys thanks to Gurney's Book "Imaginative Realism." I don't know where else I'll be able to find compositional fundamentals or keys and read/practice them. I'll do more thumbs though.

As far as drawing goes, I draw daily...I've given myself tendinitis and mild carpal tunnel a couple times haha.

**EDIT** reading creative ilustration by loomis and I'm learning paramount information that no other source has been able to bestow upon me thus far. I just want to give an additional thanks, Kik, because this book is gold.
Stuff from Bloodsports #16!

Still reading creative illustration and I've been reading Color and Light by James Gurney.

Feeling good about where I'm at...feeling even better knowing where I'm going to be if I keep pressing on.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=23259]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=23260]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9