Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Dave's Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

kingken109

Hey daggers, I'm 20 years old studying graphic design, but want to work on concept art for video games and film. I need to improve my painting and drawing skills so I'm hoping I can get some crits on my work. Thanks!

deerandfox

Hey man, welcome! There is a few crits really, but i'll start with the most basic, which is to study your anatomy first, start doing line drawings and gestures and studying how each part of the body connects, build up stuff in blocks and cylinders and go from there. Its gonna take a while, but get a book by loomis or bridgeman and really have a look a them and take notes as you draw. Foundations first, then the fun stuff. Keep it up man.
Good start, I agree with deer but I'll also add dont just study photos draw from life as well, it's one of the things that will increase your rate of progress as in photos all the work of putting a 3d object onto a 2d space has been done but when drawing from life you have to make all of those decisions.

1 more thing, your images are HUUUUUGE on my screen they dont fit on the screen, try downsizing them a bit to post in your sketchbook. try to update daily with your work, its a good habit to have :).

Keep working hard.

kingken109

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. What is the recommended size for the files to be when I upload them?
Welcome, probably width around 500px would be optimal.
I would really like to see your drawings!

kingken109

Finally got some time to paint. I'll try to get some traditional work up here as soon as I can.

kingken109

Some bird studies.

kingken109

Sketch before bed.

DeniDimochka

Hi there! Very cool you want to improve painting and drawing skills. Everyone here has some really good advice I would definitely work on more studies both from life and photograph. I would also pick up a book on perspective or maybe check out a few tutorials online, its very important to be able to orient your work in 3d space and establish where the eye line is. As far as painting goes I think you may jump into unimportant details a bit quickly, something I like to do personally when I work from a photograph is to put a gaussian blur(maybe around 4.4%) in a separate layer on the photograph just so I can see values and shapes at their most basic level and keep myself from getting caught up in the little things. Keep it up, I hope that was helpful!

kingken109

Thank you for the advice. Here's another study.

kingken109

Sketches.

kingken109

Hands.

kingken109

Study.

kingken109

Landscape study.

kingken109

The Avengers study and American Horror Story study.
Great initiative! Something to think about, focus on creating accurate shapes in your studies. Right now, I see a tendency to skew and to distort. Flip that canvas regularly, and, at this point, use guides to compare angles. I wish you the best! Keep working hard!

kingken109

Thank you for the feedback. Can you tell me the shortcut to flip canvas?

kingken109

1 hour study.

kingken109

Study.

kingken109

Mother of Dragons, because I love Game of Thrones.
Pages: 1 2