Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Crit needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've put maybe 4 hours into this, 2 1/2 of them being put into linework. I didn't plan out the environment, at all.
The pose feels stiff, he seems to be floating in the scene, and completely detached from it all. Not at all close to finishing this. Should I continue? Or just drop it completely if there is no hope of salvaging this. . .

Whatever you see is wrong, please lemme know. Thanks. :']

[attachment=11176]
It is always best to have a "story" you want to tell, then capture a moment, a moment that you think best conveys that story (use contrast, color, negative space, lighting, facial expression). Have fun, ask yourself what type of character (person) am I drawing, is he a hero, a thief or a man with a dark past, etc.. Don't just put him in any city, the type of city you put your character in will help tell your story. is the city a happy place or are they ruled by a dark king. In a painting you narrative is e everything.
i think his left leg looks as if it's on something, not on the ground. Observe somebody standing in this pose and make some quick sketch...
i think the middleground is too big and empty. i mean...You have to add many things to fill it and that will probably pull the eye away from tha main character.
maybe You should bring the horizon line lower in order to overlay some unnecessary space.
other than that the only problem is that it's not finished...
just continue and let's see what will turn out! ;>

silverwarp

You should definitely follow through and finish this. You'll learn more from doing it than what anyone of us can say. That being said, Elmst and holdkocos make excellent points. I'll add that you should figure out the lighting and drop a shadow in there to ground him. Just keep at it!
Thank you so much for the feedback everyone. This is probably my very first "illustration" so I've been fumbling around as it were, haha.

Elmst- As far as story goes, he's standing over a thief that has stolen a piece of fruit. Hopes this also answers the question of why his left leg is positioned the way it is, Hold. I can't believe these things have slipped my mind, it's started becoming un-fun.

I'll continue on with it, and consider all of the advice given. Once again, thank you all so much. :]
Hey Arch :)

You actually answered yourself on your first setence on the original post. You need to plan the piece - start with the story you want to tell, then thumbs, then a lot of sketches... Then a refined line drawing.

Most of the problems you see here would be solve themselves if you don't skip steps.
Test ways to best tell the story here :) You will be surprised.

Keep going! It can be a fun piece!
Thank you Ursula. I'll keep at it, and try to take away what I can from it. :]