Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: michael doig sketch thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thanks Pierce :D

JakeB - that's so useful, thank you. I've seen the article by Gurney about the colour bands, and its a great technique, keeping it in mind for this one though and applying it is where it counts. I'm working from a pretty flash ruining photo, so trying to invest a bit more life back into the painting is a really good exercise.

I'll apply these lessons and bring it back with some gusto. Thanks for the direction!

S-mrr! You've totally inspired me too - I desperately need to pour some time into figure gestures, I'll be thinking of your Sb when I do!

And cos' I don't like to comment in here without posting up some work, here's a sketch I did over lunch to go with my recent dabbling with spacecraft. More details about it here on my blog.

[Image: 8njZvWH.png]
Updatage - I started the february sketchbook challenge so expect pages of figures! PAAAAAGES.

[Image: Z9fEi6El.jpg]
[Image: QBtZowZl.jpg]
[Image: LLgAKxNl.jpg]
[Image: vYqXB9hl.jpg]

Ending with the tortoise piece I'm working on, crits welcomed yo. I'll need to put in a hind leg I think to avoid hover zimmer tortoise.
[Image: tumblr_lrj9fxoVVy1qj8pzwo1_500.gif]
Nice sketchbook you have here. The colours in that turtle look amazing, and I really like the method you used on that last portrait.

Great stuff :D
Haha Craig, that's awesome and made my day over and over.

Thanks Jaik :D

[Image: Bqcb9Wpl.jpg]
Ryu~

[Image: 6MuYJDNl.jpg]
[Image: ahLP5uRl.jpg]
[Image: zJYpXmOl.jpg]
[Image: Fa2KxxGl.png]
Artchemical 1 hour sketch and Valentine's Gift

[Image: ihwcY1rl.png]
[Image: xnfse3Cl.png]
Hey folks, got some more work for you.

[Image: enqfKg2l.jpg]

[Image: VJCEzQOl.jpg]

Speed paint and process, lots of fun on this one. This character has been haunting me for years and I've not been able to quite achieve what I was aiming for. This is closer, and it happened by accident!

[Image: roFcVuXl.jpg]

Morning warmup inspired by a typo.

[Image: lFE5XiSl.png]

Late night, couldn't sleep. Must Paint. Painting.

[Image: 3EEyFUKl.jpg]

Eat the f-------king Rainbow.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay more work-!
Wow your use of colour is beautiful and that first female portrait... mother of god... talk about kicking ass!!

Really fantastic stuff and again - eagerly awaiting updates ^^

P.s. thanks you for the kind words, :) really keeping me motivated!
Much thanks to you s-mrr :D Stop by anytime.

This morning's 40 min Owl Study
[Image: 1onLOPXl.png]
And a GIF of the process

5 mins of playing around with Flash, luffs FX
[Image: hf7b3w0l.gif]

Owl God WIP for a poster, crit on this welcomed.
[Image: Tz5bpEKl.png]
[Image: kUtazwbl.jpg]

[Image: fuxTNLQl.png]

These 2 were done while out at a bar, fun times.

This morning's studies + 15 min colour rough landscape

[Image: 7FViN01l.jpg]

Trying out using photo's and ref as part of creating some quick production concept work for a short sci fi film.

[Image: dQknpXul.jpg]

[Image: JAVidkTl.png]

This is an Owl Man poster for the film Lord of Tears - you can pre-order and watch the trailer for the film here

[Image: omzGupTl.jpg]

Round 5 for Artchemical

[Image: CCnIBNxl.png]

This is Jenny May, done as part of an art jam - as is the Evil Forest Hooker Automaton at the bottom.

[Image: 7eOILH6l.jpg]

[Image: EkU7QLnl.png]
Really love the stuff you got going on here, keep up the good work, when you get a min can you give mine a look http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-1501.html
Really like the shuttle cockpit concepts. Looks great.
Thanks Nick and Craig :D

Here's some entries for Gaimain's Calendar of Tales February Tale.

[Image: 1CvYe4Sl.jpg]
[Image: opPoFKjl.jpg]
Heya,

Great colours and the mood is great. Feels really fun :) Keep posting!

SpectreX

Nice sketchbook! Really fun to look at ^^
Thanks folks :)

Sorry for the quiet spell! For the last couple of weeks I have been moving flat, which feels like a project in and of itself so I figured I'd post up some progress shots of that (as proof ;])

[Image: 0nUiZhdl.jpg]

Here's some work from the last while too :D
[Image: aiXrREvl.jpg]
[Image: eGdjsnul.png]
[Image: rZ2nRQpl.jpg]
[Image: sSVoFmml.jpg]
[Image: tgrEeDXl.png]
[Image: bz0QlWxl.jpg]
Those are great environment sketches. Your world map is super fun too. You have some great shapes in colors in these last few posts :) Good stuff!
Pages: 1 2 3