Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Landscape.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I dont ever really paint landscapes but like my Deathline says I have to branch out really heavily. So I tried this, and I'm looking for experianced eyes to tell me what to do better.
:D Wow it turned out to be better than I expected. Great job^^
This is looking great, your brush work is solid, what is missing is atmosphere/values, atmosphere/values will give you the depth that is missing. I did a quick paint-over, I hope it helps.

Things I did:
pushed the back rock wall back.
pushed the sea back and gradated the water to the horizon line adding depth.
pushed the lower part of the cliff down and added more color and detail, at this time of day you would not loose so much detail.
added more depth to the rock wall closest to us.
added more color in the sky and used the clouds to bring focus to the tower.
added a path for people to walk up to the tower.

[attachment=12231]
The tower doesn't look like a tower to me, it has no stonework and the overall shape of it is quite unexpected. you may try and study the kind of towers that can be found near the ocean.

Also, the base is not in perspective. it's above the horizon so it should be inverted, http://www.artyfactory.com/perspective_d...ive_7.html

even in such a simple environmental piece it is very important to check that your perspective is right.

I like the way your made the sky.sea reflect in some of the rocks. It could be subtler though, just tone it down a little bit.

Cheers, keep pushing the good work !
Thank you for the responses on this I will certainly be keeping this all in mind for the future.
I did a very,very quick paintover, in my opinion the main problem in this piece is the scale , I know the red flag is incredibly cheesy but its purpose is just to fill the space :P
[Image: landscapesc.jpg]