Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Finished my book! Atlantis - Ship of the Gods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well recently I finished Part 1 of my first book and released it on Kindle and Smashwords, both ebook services. I illustrated the cover and made an illustration for the start of each chapter. Once we finish part 2 I will release book 1 in paperback form but until then its just 3 dollars for the ebook versions.

It took me over a year to do this. I have my freelance business on the side which includes a lot of graphic design and illustration. Because this book is mine I wasnt getting paid to work on it which meant i needed to manage my time effectively!

I struggled a lot with these, some not as much, but overall I felt I grew a lot during the process and I could safely say that it was well worth it. Already part two is going a lot faster and i am a lot quicker.

Dave Rapozas work definitely helps me understand the painting process more and I a happy to join this new community! I spent the last 11 years on conceptart.org and made this same post over there and it didnt move from the "finally finished" page nor did it receive any comments. I looked forward to posting it there the whole year and when I finally did the website was clearly dying. So now I look for a new home!

Please comment on these and let me know what you like and what weakness's you see. Ide love if Dave Rapoza could help me personally but I may have to dream about that one lol

http://www.amazon.com/Atlantis-Ship-Gods...roduct_top
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/274108

[attachment=12761]
[attachment=12762]
[attachment=12763]
[attachment=12764]
[attachment=12765]
[attachment=12766]
[attachment=12767]
[attachment=12768]
[attachment=12769]
[attachment=12771]
[attachment=12772]
[attachment=12774]
[attachment=12773]
[attachment=12775]

Here are the rest of the illustrations. These ones are all sideways.

[attachment=12776]
[attachment=12777]
[attachment=12778]
[attachment=12779]
[attachment=12780]
[attachment=12781]
Awesome illustrations! Have you blog or deviantart?
(01-27-2013, 08:03 AM)Nikt Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome illustrations! Have you blog or deviantart?

Yea sure do, ill update my info on here so its easier for people to find that. Heres my info though.

www.theartofoneness.com - http://www.rek0.deviantart.com/
There's some really nice illustrations there! I think the colors are good, since you do not use pure black. Of course, we all need to study color forever, but I thinks its good the way it is now.

I'm also very pleased with the Crimson Daggers community, I find it way more friendly than CA, and it had helped me a lot too! :D

Keep on rockin dude.
(01-27-2013, 10:05 AM)mateusrocha Wrote: [ -> ]There's some really nice illustrations there! I think the colors are good, since you do not use pure black. Of course, we all need to study color forever, but I thinks its good the way it is now.

I'm also very pleased with the Crimson Daggers community, I find it way more friendly than CA, and it had helped me a lot too! :D

Keep on rockin dude.

Thanks Mate ;) I am happy they seem good to you. I only try to use pure black when the situation calls for it. Its usually only when there is no light somewhere or I want a different feel to that image. Ill definitely study it forever but its good to know I got some kinda hang on it :D

Fei Ou

You are one hell of an artist, good sir. I salute you. I checked out your website and my oh my do you have a bag of goodies to show.
Great stuff! Like others have said I think the colors and values are really good, in the envoriments espescially! If I was to point out anything it would be that the figures and anatonomy are a bit uneven in quality, in some of the images it looks pretty good, in others they stand out as a weak point when comapred to the very well made surroundings :-)
(01-29-2013, 07:14 AM)Fei Ou Wrote: [ -> ]You are one hell of an artist, good sir. I salute you. I checked out your website and my oh my do you have a bag of goodies to show.

Thanks Fei Ou :) Im happy you enjoy it and those goodies haha

(01-29-2013, 04:34 PM)Simonarpalmer Wrote: [ -> ]Great stuff! Like others have said I think the colors and values are really good, in the envoriments espescially! If I was to point out anything it would be that the figures and anatonomy are a bit uneven in quality, in some of the images it looks pretty good, in others they stand out as a weak point when comapred to the very well made surroundings :-)

Thanks Palmer, I appreciate the honest critique. I see errors myself at this point that I wish I spent time fixing. I suppose it happened in part because I painted these over a large period of time and released it because I was taking to long to the get teh first finished. I feel like now I can relax and fix the errors. Ill definitely go back and do that with some of these.

I need to study also! who doesnt hehe