Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Hard Work and Guts!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Introduction in tl; dr format: I'm Pris. I sleep. I draw. I had a sketchbook on CA.org but started feeling uncomfortable about it, hence.

Stuff from the last week or so - a variety of movie still studies, portrait studies, limping perspective exercises, and whatnot. And one sketch for fun, because I was starting to get "dunwaaanna!" about more studies. I'm trying to do something with perspective or buildings every day this month, because it's one of my biggest weak points (well, I have many, but my lack of environments has been bothering me the most).
A morning warm-up from a photo (been drawing user-submitted pictures from another forum I'm on).
[attachment=15449]

Small perspective exercise. ... yes, I have been reading/watching a lot of Regency things lately, why do you ask.
[attachment=15450]

You know those moments where you step back for a moment from a study, take a fresh look, clutch your hair, and go, "What have I dooooone?!"
Yeah. Multiple of those. This was a lot harder than I anticipated originally.
[attachment=15451]

SpectreX

Lovely sketches!
I especially like your portraits :)
Today was bleh, not so much work done. Edit: Oh, and a leftover doodle from yesterday.
Oooh very nice sketches!
Welcome aboard, keep it up :D
Bare minimum, feeling saggy still.
The usual, and then sketching out some ideas for the Bloodsport. Not sure I'm going to do it, but doing robot ideas was fun. :D
Quick portrait study...

[attachment=16026]

... and then a spur-of-the-moment beefcake pin-up.

[attachment=16027]

I'm actually really happy how this one turned out despite its simplicity, as I was adapting from a years-old sketch and did it mostly without ref (checked out Loomis when I was having a bit of trouble with the arm). It feels like I've grown somewhere - or at least I had a feeling of greater competency while doing this than I'd had previously. As far as the people-parts go, anyway. Cloth I still struggled with.
doop doop
Really nice work so far. Your lines are great, and you seem to have a pretty solid handle on colour and form. Looking forward to seeing more. Keep it coming :)
Because I feel a bit rude by just liking people's posts instead of thanking them, thank you, SpectreX, Ursula and JakeB!

I've still been doing things every day, just have been slacking on posting. I started work again this Wednesday after a long hiatus, so adjusting back to a work schedule and trying to keep up with art has been a process. Still not quite there, I have a bad tendency to stay up too late and consequently be a wreck in the evenings when I should be studying. Going to aim to get to bed around midnight next week.

As a result, while I've done something each day it hasn't been a whole lot. Just a few sketches and a fanart that ran away with me, plus some live model drawings I haven't photographed yet (later this weekend, probably).

A 15-minute doodle at lunch. I don't know where her knees disappeared to.
[attachment=16811]

Study that attempted to find out if I could do something rough that still satisfied me. Answer: nope.
[attachment=16812]

And the fanart that got away from me.
[attachment=16813]

Started painting it, but I'm not sure that's the tack I should go with. Was thinking maybe just simple outlining and flat colors - it might be easier, at least.
[attachment=16814]
Today's theme for studies: knights.

[attachment=17301]

Abandoned this one partway through because I realized it was late and I was already sleep-deprived from the night before.

[attachment=17302]
Aloha again! I haven't been as productive as I would like, but I haven't been completely idle, either - just mostly been sketching in real life, and photographing/scanning and uploading is a bit of a hassle (and not having much worth showing). Still, something is something.
An abortive study I'd forgotten about until I was looking in my Studies folder.

[attachment=20653]

Random profile I did to distract and soothe myself when feeling low.

[attachment=20651]

Today's cloth/clothing study, squeaking in late and past my bedtime as usual. Turned out pretty okay, although I somehow managed to shave at least two inches off her torso width. ಠ_ಠ

[attachment=20652]
A random Loomis, a random waxy mannequin thing, and an overdue study (sorry Aimee!).

First time trying Livestream while doing the study, and it was a pretty effective way to keep me focused. Rewatching the recording is both cool and humbling - cool to review my work habits and humbling because of my work habits and all the flaws and errors I can immediately see. :p
Life/figure drawing stuff from the past couple of weeks and a page of Loomis hands.
Sometimes you don't notice the doldrums until you look up and realize there's only glassy water all around you.

whoops. welp, back to the drawing board
i like the shepard/Hawke/hero of ferelden? piece, i would like to see it finished.
And really good life/figure drawing practice, this last portrait is starting to look good too. :)
Keep it up!
Hrrblrgh. It's been way too long since I've posted in this. Not that I haven't been getting some stuff done, but

Anyway, since going to Spectrum I've been fired up with new zeal, and I've also started on some pieces that I no longer have the benefit of a super-talented mentor to ask questions of (was taking classes via SmArt School for a while). So it seems like a good time to start this up again!

I am way too lazy to post a good selection of stuff I've done, but my Tumblr (link) has a good overview. For now, here's a value sketch for an art challenge I want to complete by Monday (technically Sunday night, I guess) of Morrigan from Dragon Age in her Inquisition costume. Any advice or crit really, really helpful, I'm feeling a bit weirded out at striking out on my own again after months of being able to fall back on advice. :)
Cleaned up and finalized the rough composition/value sketch. Bit stuck on which pattern of magic to use, will probably leave this here and look at it again tomorrow with clearer eyes.

[attachment=49912]

[attachment=49914]

[attachment=49917]

[attachment=49918]
Pages: 1 2