Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Pnate's Almost Daily Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
really nice work recently man. i was wondering, why do you shift between new pieces so often?
Ooh, that last piece on the last page (#679) is really nice... love the contrast between the warm light on the stone wall and the cooler black clothes.
Ben - Thanks Ben! Partly because I enjoy the first stages most and that I try to do a new piece everyday, but also kind of based on what Craig Mullins said about how sketching (and failing) a lot gives you that feedback loop to get better (I could be misquoting here). I'm definitely lacking in finish quality in a lot of my stuff, but I'm trying to work on it :)

Thanks Lyrainaaaaa

bewbs. Also working on crimson arena - timeline got screwed up because of family stuff last week so I'm rushing to meet the deadline. So apologies if I don't post anything that interesting the next couple of days.
[Image: vaxs2Yc.jpg]
[Image: MU6Zfu9.jpg]
same situation here, keep on pushing :) nice bewbs by the way
BenFlores - can't go wrong with the boobies :)

My crimson arena entry: Hades abducting Persephone. You can probably tell it's fairly rushed so I'm not very happy with it, but in the end decided to post.

Here are some "should haves": I should have done more studies with the folds of the clothing, which was a huge challenge for me and made me realize what a sore spot that is. I also found myself struggling on the materials, so I'm going to put out more still lifes soon to work on that. The poses and composition are also very stiff without much interest, should have created a more interesting situation. Design also lacking - should have done something more exaggerated and interesting. Crits and suggestions welcome!

The story is that Persephone (the goddess of the harvest goddess and Zeus) is out picking flowers when Hades, who got permission from Zeus, her own father, to abduct her (wtf?) picks her up and carries her down to the underworld where he presumably rapes her and she becomes queen. A little tidbit: her symbol is a pomegranate, hence the circle thingys on her tunic.
[Image: rwBjm66.jpg]
[Image: mYVSBC6.jpg]
[Image: 0D0QpkO.jpg]
[Image: VxBOuN2.jpg]
[Image: suXmkqI.jpg]
Oh man, this turned out awesome!
I think over the summer I'm going to try and get in on stuff like these... hopefully I'll be able to!

Ughhh so much to do, so little time! Anyway...

keep on truckin bud! :)
Thanks man! definitely try it, those challenges are a great learning experience

Disney screencap paintovers
[Image: 4FuSGZE.jpg]
[Image: Maj0tPy.jpg]
omg, love those paintovers... cool idea D:
Hell yes. That last piece turned out so great. Great studies and planning lead to tasty results. I love how old and lanky he is, and the contrast the two share. Great story.

Those Didney paintovers are really awsome, too. Looks like doing something like that could teach you a lot about volume and form.
Lyraina - Thanks! It's lots of fun, you should try it :) Madzia's idea to do em here, inspired by Tyson Murphy's recent paintovers

Archreux - Thanks man, you should try the paintovers as well, its a great exercise

study, memory, landscape
[Image: VtMjmQ1.jpg]
[Image: AP7u12R.jpg]
[Image: g1Gmpgg.jpg]
Just discovered your sketchbook, don't know how I'd missed it before. Really awesome stuff.
Thanks very much Craig

[Image: 88KNLn4.jpg]
[Image: lpRyW5m.jpg]
[Image: PMzV80T.jpg]
Insane studies again man, that Hades & Persephone pic is really nice, colors, mood & everything kicks ass. Thumbs up!
Kaffer - thanks man! not too happy with that one, but always fun to do challenges

WIP dude
[Image: xE4skxw.jpg]
WIP blerbs
[Image: dBN4mkY.jpg]
[Image: 3DIesk6.jpg]
Congrats on getting first place in the crimson arena!
Hypnagogic- Ha thanks man! Got some good crits as well to consider, was awesome overall :) Hope to see your entry for the next one!

(No idea if they'll see this) but thanks to Forrest, Vansty and John Silva for creating the challenge for all of us and judging it. Missed the stream, but just caught it on demand. Loved loved loveeed getting those crits; it gave me a lot to think about when it comes to design and storytelling, so thank you guys <3. Personally would have chosen Madzia's because that piece is flippin great (and she completely rocks).

studies, WIP character base
[Image: uULNEJs.jpg]
[Image: 6NVoQJx.jpg]
[Image: 1Ya9lpg.jpg]
scifi headz
[Image: HWwnyC0.jpg]
This is the kind of sketchbook that reminds me how i need to up my game :p
So much to take inspiration from here, you seem to have an amazing control over how you practice,
something I am severely lacking right now ;)
Congrats on winning in the Arena :D It's a fine piece indeed.

The headpiece of the sci fi guy looks like little cute antennae to me :D Sorry :P