Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Improvin'! Check it out!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey Daggers,
I recently dropped out of university to pursue digital painting full time. Here's some of my studies and a couple imagination things :)

unlimitedbacon

Some good use of color and value goin on. Keep it up!
@unlimitedbacon- Thank you!

Some more stuff!
Update
Nice sketchbook! Are you totally naked in that self portrait? :)
@razvanb08: Thanks man, ohhhhhhh yeahhhhh. ;)

Here's more!
Cool studies and paintings so far :)
I see you work a lot with the round brush and the soft brush.
I think using rougher brushes, with textured effects and spray brushes can really push you a step ahead. They are not easy at the start but one you get used to those brushes it will make all the materials look more realistic and it also opens a window towards 'happy mistakes' where a wrong brushstroke can turn out into a great idea.
(03-13-2013, 11:49 PM)helmighs Wrote: [ -> ]Cool studies and paintings so far :)
I see you work a lot with the round brush and the soft brush.
I think using rougher brushes, with textured effects and spray brushes can really push you a step ahead. They are not easy at the start but one you get used to those brushes it will make all the materials look more realistic and it also opens a window towards 'happy mistakes' where a wrong brushstroke can turn out into a great idea.

Thanks a lot, that's something I've been wanting to experiment with for a bit, I just dont know where to begin. Do you have any brush recommendations?
Some more!
nice mix of soft and hard brushes , keep at it!
Like the way you paint the life drawings. And I'm really jealous of the watercolor portrait in the first post. Maybe hit the anatomy books a bit harder, you seem unsure of shoulders and hips from what you've posted so far.
Lots of studies, great work!
@BenFlores: Thanks a lot!

@mdbauman: Thanks man, You're right, I should probably work on that a bit.

@Conny Nordlund: Thank you!

Here's another figure and a little bit of color on one of those characters. :)

cerkvenik

Great studies man!
Keep it up!
Thanks for the kind words. You have some great studies here too! Your colors look spot on! Just need a little more refinement and you'll be there! Keep up with the basics, I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Awesome lighting in those studies.
I can really see your knowledge of watercolor coming through in the digital studies. A lot of what people have recommended would help. If you're looking at making rough texture brushes try jaime jones brush pack. http://www.pandemoniumart.net/brushes/

And treat them like the round brush. all that matters is form, hue, and value. with every stroke.
@cerkvenik: Thanks a lot for stopping by!

@TylerDonnelly: Thanks a lot buddy, Refinement is something I'm sort of struggling with, going to keep on!

@Kitsune: Hey thank you :)

@Joshua Meehan: Thanks for the compliment and recommendation :) I'll check them out

I'm having a difficult time actually finishing a painting, for some reason I lose interest or get frustrated at the 2-3 hour mark, if anyone has any tips to overcome this or has had experience, let me know!

Here's a still life and a couple sketches :)

Appeb

Sweet sketchbook man. I really dig those watercolor pieces!

I've had the same problem with finishing pictures. I lose interest and want to do something else after a while. Occasionally though I can spend 8 hours on something.
What I'm working on now, to try and overcome my short attention span, is to get a more effective workflow.
So what I do is I limit my time with sketches, studies and whatnot all the time. The result is that I work more focused and look "at the big picture" all the time so I don't get lost in details. I would like to think that I've improved over the last couple of months. Maybe it's just my mindset that's different now, I'm not sure :p

Don't know if what I'm saying makes any sense at all, or is helpful, but it's my two cents :D
@Appeb: Thanks for the reply, glad to see Im not alone. I understand what you're saying, just need to sit down and work through it.

Heres a couple things
Pages: 1 2 3