Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: nicks gorilla guardian!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys! Heres my entry to the challenge. I definitely want to finish it over the weekend; Gorilla guardians; Good luck everyone! :).

[Image: gorillaguardiansnickmaceycopy.jpg]

[Image: gorillahandstudy.jpg]

[Image: stonearmour.jpg]

[Image: gorillastudy.jpg]

[Image: gorillaarm.jpg]

[Image: skullcopy.jpg]

[Image: comps.jpg]

Later!
You studied a lot in this one! really good :D

danlambert

I'm completely puzzled by the ram skull? The whole thing is general has some really nice elements, but it looks like they were quickly cut and pasted together at the end. But the ram head in particular seems to serve no purpose and have no relevance to anything else at all. You absolutely nailed the values in that big gorilla in back though, good stuff!
thanks paula and dan! Yeah i completely understand where you are coming from. Was a mad rush toward the end. The ram skull was supposed to be attached to the big gorillas upper arm and to lead the eye down to the toy but didnt really work out lol. Ill probably take it out or fix the whole thing. Thanks for the feedback man! :)

bitbof

Hey.
I hope you don't mind, here is a bit of feedback where I pretty much just focus on problems.
...I try to avoid bullshit advice, but it can happen.

As I see it, your main problem is space. Your piece looks crammed and it screws up the composition.
Everything seems to be sitting in the foreground. The gorilla on the right is even lit as if the torch light is sitting right beside him. And the other guy ends up hugging the edge of your image.
If you start thinking more with depth/perspective I bet your pieces will get better. (foreground, middleground, background...but also rendering characters less flat)

Another thing is that regions with high contrasts are pretty scattered throughout your piece. Reinforcing that it's pretty crammed and messy. Decide on one main focal point and then maybe have a few smaller ones with less impact.

some smaller stuff:
- The smoke of his cigar and the fire of the torch go different directions
- The fur of the gorilla on the left is inconsistent (head, body -> different color)
- Why is he holding a stick?
- The anatomy of the guy on and left and right is not the same. (especially the nose) The one on the right looks referenced
- ear of the guy on left needs to move more to the back of his head

I also made a little paintover. Everything is scaled down to focus on the composition. I admit there are a lot of things wrong in my piece as well.
[Image: 45YBz.jpg]
I put the big guy in the background functioning as the sky. I used color perspective to add depth as well(foreground orange, background blue).
The guy with the torch got smaller so that the fire doesn't screw up the composition as much. Added the skull as part of the environment.

I hope this helped somewhat.
ahhh bitbof! thank you very much for taking the time to help me out :), Ill take everything that you have said into account and try and apply it! Everything that you've said its pretty much accurate, I think I was trying to do too much and in the end made it messy and cramped up. Thanks for the paintover also! Ill definitely use it :) good luck with yours!