Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Help with Render
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Chaud

Hi guys, well I'm trying to get better at drawing and rendering, and I finished the lines of a art that I enjoyed, but I have no idea of how to render it, I've been spending some days rendering it and it just look like shit so I delete de render. Can someone help me with how to start or some easy tutorial for a noob, here is the draw right now.

Any help with the pose is also welcome. I'm pretty happy with what I got but I know there is always ground to improve.
Oh and one thing I forgot, even though I think I'm not prepared yet for something like that, the rendering process I'd like to do with this piece is something like "Last Man Standing", with lots of details.

[Image: Jace_no_color_done.jpg]

Nameless

First off you should be proud of the picture as it is and it sounds like you are. The linework is strong with very few sketchy parts. I would suggest working out a lighting approach before you even begin or very early into your rendering. This will help you as you render to keep the focus of the piece where you want it to be. It will also help to keep your piece cohesive. It may help to take a picture of yourself in this pose with the lighting system you want to use. Although you do not have the same costume (or maybe you do) you can still use that image to give you a general idea of how to begin adding value. A little added tip from someone who catches himself doing it all the time....do not over render. Save the tightest detail and heaviest contrast for the areas that you are looking to draw focus.

There are others far more qualified to help you in this area but I hope this helps

Also for rendering tips check out enliighten.com (mike "daarken" lim) or FZDschool's or scott robertson's channels on youtube
Yo! Nice lines. I don't really work this way these days, but I did see a cool tutorial the other day by a guy who does which may be of help. It's a bit technical may be... but there are some great tips and technique there. If you're stuck on anything message the guy, or me even. I'd be happy to help where I can :) [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWvWxa2IJIA&feature=youtu.be[/link] - it starts with some helmet design, but moves onto the full image work.

Last time i worked up proper line work though, I created a separate mask for the character so I could work independently from the background. Then I painted a value pass in just black and white, so I could figure out the shading. Then I added colours. This then became the basis for the actual render. Once you have your values and colour range set, you can start to colour pick and paint in your final stuff. As Nameless says up there, Daarken is a great guy to look at for this approach.

Best tip really, is to render some spheres and cones for practise. If you can do that, you can render anything :)

Good luck. Keep us posted with progress!

Chaud

Thank you so much guys. It helped me alot, now is just work until it's finished or at least I think it is. I couldn't recreate the light I want, so I used an old 3d model and rendered to recreate the light and get some tips from where the shadows might be. I'll post when I have something sone about the render. Thank you again.
That sounds like a good idea, Chaud. Impressed that you have the 3D skills!

Keep us posted on the work, and feel free to ask for any help along the way.