Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Seeking critique/paintover
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I've been lurking for a while but haven't actually posted anything before this. Would love some critiques for this one right here. I feel like I need some fresh eyes to push it forward. Anything that can shed some new light for me to make this piece better is appreciated.
(04-19-2013, 12:19 AM)giantwood Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, I've been lurking for a while but haven't actually posted anything before this. Would love some critiques for this one right here. I feel like I need some fresh eyes to push it forward. Anything that can shed some new light for me to make this piece better is appreciated.

Hey man, I'm no where near as good as you, but I'll just pass on some crit I've picked up on.
There arent any obvious highlights in the piece, so it becomes a tad montonous- try to bring out some saturated lighting highlights and deep shadows, perhaps on the beasties teeth? Perhaps the foreground needs to be pushed towards us a bit more by having darker shades due to atmospheric perspective.
Also perhaps some clouds pointing towards the focal point would help?
I'm not sure in this case, but perhaps using the rule of thirds with the monster's mouth would help (ie have it in the top left third?).
Just throwing ideas out there, really loving it, looking forward to seeing where you take this :)
(04-19-2013, 01:11 AM)Ward217 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-19-2013, 12:19 AM)giantwood Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, I've been lurking for a while but haven't actually posted anything before this. Would love some critiques for this one right here. I feel like I need some fresh eyes to push it forward. Anything that can shed some new light for me to make this piece better is appreciated.

Hey man, I'm no where near as good as you, but I'll just pass on some crit I've picked up on.
There arent any obvious highlights in the piece, so it becomes a tad montonous- try to bring out some saturated lighting highlights and deep shadows, perhaps on the beasties teeth? Perhaps the foreground needs to be pushed towards us a bit more by having darker shades due to atmospheric perspective.
Also perhaps some clouds pointing towards the focal point would help?
I'm not sure in this case, but perhaps using the rule of thirds with the monster's mouth would help (ie have it in the top left third?).
Just throwing ideas out there, really loving it, looking forward to seeing where you take this :)

Actually that's some great feed back, I'll definitely try to work those things into the piece. Thanks for the comment!
Quote:Actually that's some great feed back, I'll definitely try to work those things into the piece. Thanks for the comment!

Great, very glad I could help in my little way! No worries mate :)