Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Critique
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2 things i've done yesterday and today, so the shark cave was a 1h speedpaint to warm up but I do want some crits about it (the shark looks like plastic I know), but I do want to complete this paint.

The forest is a paint I've made today (started yesterday). It's first time I try using textures from photo's in it so I tried not to overkill it and painted almost over every part of the photo's.

All the crits are welcome
thank you

Jhonny
I'll just talk about the first one for now. It does a good job of telling you it's in a cave/tunnel and the light source is outside, it doesn't do as good a job of telling you it's in water. The part I don't get is how it's covered in a kind of horizontal strippy texture, is this supposed to suggest water? That is the kind of texture you'd see on the surface, when you see gentle ripples at an angle, but not something you'd see underwater. There isn't really a specific texture one would see in the cave because the light comes from the entrance (aside maybe from god rays, but I'm not sure) on the outside, you might see caustic reflections. (Caustic reflections on Gurney Journey)

Also while things under water should have a blue cast, there should be a little more variety in shades, more purplish blues, more greenish, etc. It's not that water makes everything blue, it's that other colours get filtered out before blue does, first red, then yellow, then purple and green. Things outside the cave should be more colourful than inside.
(04-25-2013, 12:28 PM)ChantalFournier Wrote: [ -> ]I'll just talk about the first one for now. It does a good job of telling you it's in a cave/tunnel and the light source is outside, it doesn't do as good a job of telling you it's in water. The part I don't get is how it's covered in a kind of horizontal strippy texture, is this supposed to suggest water? That is the kind of texture you'd see on the surface, when you see gentle ripples at an angle, but not something you'd see underwater. There isn't really a specific texture one would see in the cave because the light comes from the entrance (aside maybe from god rays, but I'm not sure) on the outside, you might see caustic reflections. (Caustic reflections on Gurney Journey)

Also while things under water should have a blue cast, there should be a little more variety in shades, more purplish blues, more greenish, etc. It's not that water makes everything blue, it's that other colours get filtered out before blue does, first red, then yellow, then purple and green. Things outside the cave should be more colourful than inside.

Thank you so much for this, when my next one is finished I'll take another look to it and change it. It really helped and hopefully it will turn out good, it's not so easy to make some specific area paints (underwater paints for example) thank you again!