Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: I'm new to this and open for any suggestions !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys ! I'm a newbie at this and motivated to draw but as you see my art sucks, i accept any suggestions !
This is Ammit the egyptian Devourer of Souls, in the myths and drawings she has the head of a crocodile, the upper body of a lion/leopard and the lower body of a hippo, this is my attempt at drawing her, i wont post any photoshop version as i dont have a tablet or any skills in photoshop :D if you can help me out with something related to this or art in general feel free !
Hey insollence,
Welcome to the show.
Not bad! If you seek improvment, you can start the long (but fun) road of anatomy studies, along with life drawings. (And value, light, and the like...)
Also think about basic perspective of the forms of the body, overlapping between body parts, (like the arm on the left of the drawing, for example, unclear if passing in front or behind the body), and the like. It's visible that you allready have a feel about that, (the tail is clearly retreating away), but you could had pushed it on the main body, I think.

Nice work anyway, keep on drawing!
Thank you very much for your feedback man ! I'm happy at least somebody writes here. I will try, i'm planning on buying Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy and get really deep in anatomy, but I still don't know how should I evolve my values,shading,light do you have any suggestions ? I mean something clear like a book or a process or a training routine, anyways many thanks !

Elmstreetart

Don't worry about digital painting yet, draw, draw draw! Drawing is the fundamental part of any piece of art, once you can accurately draw, painting is just a matter of learning the medium you chose whether oils, acrylics or digital. The next true challenge will be COLOR.

Draw on and prosper.
Loomis. Get all the books.
Gurney's Colour and Light for colour. (for the future, don't even bother looking at it yet until you master value)

There is no tutorial that will tell you how to draw value. Understanding value is mostly about observation. Just draw a heck of a lot, but instead of doing it from imagination only do more from observation. This will help you improve a lot quicker. When drawing from observation think about things in terms of the general large shapes and masses of value. To help you do this, squint your eyes as you look at your subject. You don't want to see the detail, the larger value arrangements are what give you the read of the image...everything else is just detail on top.
Another thing that might help is to draw on toned paper, with charcoal or pencil, and a light chalk, white pencil or conte for the highlights. This way you don't have to worry about the mid tones, you just block in shadows and highlights and do a bit of blending to define the forms.Again just to help you think in masses and simple forms
Go to life drawing class. It's probably the best thing you can do. Draw every day.
Thank you a lot guys ! This is really inspiring ! I will do my best !
I heartily concur with Elmstreetart and monkeybread's post. I'll add a few of my 2 cent's worth experience:

I'll share with you the process I made for one year where I wanted to boost up my drawing skills. (If I had more time I'll still keep practise drills like that).

-2 hours of artistic anatomy study a day. Find a VERY good book on human antomy, (learn from the best, forget flashy anatomy books with gorgeous photos of play boy and girls, plus some books don't present the correct info in a correct way), and learn the human body from the bottom up. Start with the bones, than work your way to muscles when you have finished learning bones. Learn the major difference between male and female body, (there are some, especially on the bone level). Learn that so it becomes a second nature when you look at someone... Human body is a machine, and even if we are all different, we are all build up on the same basic structure, (which comes in handy when needing surgery). Regularity is important here to learn.
-Ideally, you should do the same with animal anatomy, but since there's a great deal of animals, learn the generalities of animal anatomy. Again, find some good books.

-Life drawing, sketchbook from life. This is THE killer thing. Draw peoples outside, draw stuff in your appartment, from the streets, draw everything. Observe. In fact, is there's something you haven't draw yet, that's a clue. (For example, I have been doing life classes every week since almost 10 years now, and I was up to 9 hours a week of life drawing session last 2 years... It helps!)

Along side with anatomy and life sketch, you should get and read Mike Mattesi's books on drawing with force: get the one on dynamic life drawing and animal anatomy. With these and classical anatomy study I'll say it's allready a good way upstart...^^

-Perspective. Learn the basics and find out about the cone of vision. F** important the cone of vision.
As for value, matt khor released a very good series of worksheets on his site, ctrl-paint, about form, perspective, light, color and composition. They are actually very good. And of course, gurney's book.

And finally, do illustrations, storyboards, comic book pages along with your studies. Look at movies, graphic novels and classical illustration/paintings, just to devellop your narratice sense. The best ever drawing school I know is doing comic book/ graphic novels pages, cause you have to draw just about everything: characters, environments, props, story, color if you make some...

And finally, draw. Every day. Every-darn-day! Wisecracker
And remember to have fun and to accept mistakes, that's the most important part!Party
Have fun! Post up your new stuff!

EDIT: I forgot, here are some online ressouces that you might find usefull. If not golden. (I do.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnA...r_embedded
feng zhu channel's, tons of priceless info here: https://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL?feature=
propopenko on loomis's method for head: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UU...23462tQzBg
and of course, as I mentionned before: http://ctrlpaint.com/
Wow, great work Alchimi man ! Thank you very much, that's a really detailed step by step :D i'm really planing on getting serious with this and i consider your steps really helpfull ! That's killer i should start doing all of that imediately :D !!